Search for content in message boards

Desha family

Replies: 5

Desha family

Posted: 12 May 2012 9:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
My gggrandmother was Sedora Desha, b. 1839 in Pennsylvania and I have been searching for years for information about her father's family. The following is what little I have on her parents, but can tie them to no other Desha family members to date. I would greatly appreciate any information you might have.

John (possibly John Marcus) Desha, born in Pennsylvania, possibly Bucks County. Born about 1812.
m. Martha Ann Bennett, also born in Pennsylvania. (However, the 1850 Louisiana census from Jefferson Parish shows her as being born in Delaware but the 1860 census lists Pennsylvania). According to the census records, she was born 1811 or 1812. (I have seen something at one time that her middle name might have been Elizabeth).

Their children:

1. William J. Desha, b. 1832
2. George Desha, b. 1836 or 1837
3. Sadora Elizabeth Desha , b. 3-26-1839. She married Nathan Henry Way in 1861 in St. Landry Parish, Louisiana. They had five children. I have seen her name on one census as Ladora. but Sadora is correct, I think.
4. Oscar Marcus Desha, b 1842. Served in the Civil War.

The first three children were born in Pennsylvania. Oscar was born in Louisiana.

John (shown on the census as J. Deshay) appears in the 1840 census for Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana. He is not shown in the subsequent census for either 1850 or 1860. so I'm assuming that he either died or absconded prior to 1850.

Sadora was my gggrandmother and so I have a lot of family records from Sadora and Nathan forward. However, I've been looking for twenty plus years for information on John and can find no siblings or parents at all. I just KNOW that with a name like Desha -- if that was the spelling at the time -- that he HAS to be connected to the Desha line that produced Governor Desha of Kentucky and Mary Desha, one of the founders of the DAR, since that line of Deshas also lived in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, but so far, I cannot connect John.

Would appreciate any information on John, Martha or any of their children.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BevHackworth 12 May 2012 3:40PM GMT 
ctchar2229 13 May 2012 12:51AM GMT 
BevHackworth 13 May 2012 2:05PM GMT 
BevHackworth 13 May 2012 2:38PM GMT 
ctchar2229 13 May 2012 5:19PM GMT 
BevHackworth 13 May 2012 6:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic