Search for content in message boards

St. Ann, Staine

Replies: 24

Re: St. Ann, Staine, lightel, casbon

Posted: 7 Dec 2008 10:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello to all of you distant Cousins,

I'm writing to introduce myself to you, and hope to make a connection with anyone who is also researching the early Baptiste, Barthlemey, Ancar, St Ann, Duplesse, Arlu, Billiott, St Therese, Iris families of Plaquemines, Terrebonne, and LaFourche Parish's.

My name is Nancy Dupaquier. My father Stanley Dupaquier was born in 1924 in New Orleans LA. I have traced our family line all the way back to 1721, to the birth of Jean Baptise (Arlu) a illegitimate mulatto slave born in Biloxi to the Jean Arlu family.

This man traveled with Etienne Arlu and Pierre Bonne (frenchmen and half brothers) to where they established themselves on the east side of the river below New Orleans in the vicinity of Point ala Hatch. (2) Jean Baptiste was possibley the son of an older brother of Etienne Arlu and a "Negro" Slave woman.
(you may email me for the baptismal record) Considering that African slaves had only begun to arrive at Mobile in 1720 ~ and that Indian slaves were the custom in early colonial Louisiana ~ we can only guess if this child was the son of a African or Indian house slave of the Arlu family.

The Mulatto, Jean Baptiste(Arlu) was the father of the brothers Jean Baptiste Barthlemey, and Etienne Baptiste. I do not have who the mother was of this family. I do have the following ~

From William Stringfield ~

Reviewing my information more recently, Carlos came from Santo Domingo, but his wife was a native woman, Marie Therese BAPTISTE, the daughter of Etienne (Arlu) BAPTISTE and Anna IRIS(parents Joseph IRIS and Francoise ST. THERESE). Her sister Genevieve married Francois ANCAR, and when you compare the remaining ANCAR marriages of the next generation, I would almost guarantee another sister married the other ANCAR brother. Etienne BAPTISTE and Anna IRIS had at least four daughters. My best guess for the fourth family is Martin DuPLESSIS as her husband, but unclear at present. Joseph IRIS and Francoise ST. THERESE(Fanchon in 1770 Census) were the parents of at least five children, two sons, neither had children, and at least three daughters: Anna married Etienne ARLU(BAPTISTE); Marie(1748-1864)Genevieve married Jean BAPTISTE ARLU(BAPTISTE); and Marianne married J. BILLIOT, and moved to lower Lafourche/Terrebonne. Reviewing the 1770 Census finds this family as "black/mulatto" but they were living on their own land, and Fanchon had never been subjected to slavery, since she was born in the colony, before New Orleans was founded(1710 or so). These families were always listed as Free Persons of Color in most records, and could vote and own slaves if they needed them to maintain their lands. The late French period reclassified all the former "sauvage" category to simply "noir" if there was no European blood in the ancestry. DNA is proving this today. Fanchon's children were sent to the nuns to learn French and the Catholic religion. They were discouraged to continue the old traditions that had "nothing to do with making a living(rituals)." Her grandchildren all raised crops and livestock as their neighbors, and followed the European burial practice, the cemetery in Diamond called the BARTHELEMY cemetery from the grandson BARTHELEMY BAPTISTE(his sons were BARTHELEMY) was established "before 1795" when it was first listed in Catholic records. Odd, when I tried to decipher the Native American origins in our area, I found the people were here all along, and their ancestry is all from the same original family.

1) Etienne Baptiste (Arlu) was the spouse of Anna St Therese Iris and from this line comes the Martin DuPLESSIS family, and the Carlos SANTANA or (ST.ANN) family and the Ancar Family.
(Genevieve, daughter of Etienne and Anna) was the spouse of Francois Ancar ~ this is my line. Francois Ancar was the son of Pierre Ancar & Genevieve Moreau)

2)Anna's sister Marianne, married J. Billiott ~ and from there come the line that relocated to Terrebonne Parish and became the modern day families of the LaFourche Biloxi ~ Chitamacha Indian families.

I would love to compare note with anyone researching the Baptiste line ~ especially anyone searching the Houma, Chitamacha, Atakapa Indian roots of these families.

Thank You,
Nan Dupaquier
PO Box 232
Powers Oregon 97466
southcoastweaver@aol.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gcamposejo43 21 Mar 2008 6:32AM GMT 
onthemountn 7 Dec 2008 5:22PM GMT 
onthemountn 7 Dec 2008 5:24PM GMT 
angela stann 27 Dec 2012 9:09PM GMT 
williamstring... 10 Sep 2007 1:11AM GMT 
StAnn63 13 Sep 2007 12:37AM GMT 
williamstring... 28 Jul 2008 2:29AM GMT 
onthemountn 21 Sep 2008 4:25PM GMT 
onthemountn 21 Sep 2008 8:59PM GMT 
onthemountn 23 Sep 2008 4:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions