Search for content in message boards

Cumpton, Chennault, Lathrum, Stewart - 1850 thru 1880

Replies: 2

Cumpton, Chennault, Lathrum, Stewart - 1850 thru 1880

Posted: 1 Dec 2009 3:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cumpton, Chennault, Lathrum, Stewart
Hi all!

I've got a puzzle I'm trying to solve and would appreciate some help. Will start at the beginning so you can understand the steps I've followed along this path:

Florence E Cumpton (b Jan 1866 MS) and Perry Cumpton (b 16 Dec 1869 MS) are siblings and children of Wilford Cumpton (b 1827 LA) and Betsey (b 1845 MS). [Note: Florence E Cumpton married Jacob Wynn 1889 in Richland Parish (Book D page 741) and Perry married 16 Feb 1898 in Richland Parish to Lillian T. Wynn (Book G page 21) - Jacob Wynn and Lillian T Wynn being 1st cousins.]

25 Jul 1870 the family of Wilford Cumpton is found in 52/52 Ward 2, Richland Parish, LA and contained Wilford 43, wife Betsey 25, and children Florence 4 & Perry 1. Ok so far.

I find Florence & Perry Cumpton and sister Katie(?) in 1880 as follows:
298/313 Dist 69, 2nd Ward of Richland Parish, LA
May J Lathrum 53 widowed
Chenault Emma L 18 dau single
Lathrum Laura 13 dau single
Cumpton Florence 15 granddaughter single
Cumpton Perry 12 grandson single
Cumpton Katie(?) 11 granddaughter single
--/314
Chennault Christopher C 23 married
Chennault Edward C 2 grandson single

In 1850 and 1860 Christopher Columbus Chenault is in Morehouse Parish, LA with wife Mary Jane as follows:

1860 Ward 11 Morehouse Parish
683/683 C C Chennault 37, wife M J 34, children all born LA M J 10 (female), John 7, C C 4 (Christopher Columbus), E S 2 & Elizabeth Stewart aged 17 b MS

1850 Ward 8 Morehouse Parish
Stephen S Chennault 33 b AL
Christopher Columbus Chennault 27 b AL
Mary Jane 23 b NC
Elizabeth Stewart 7 b MS

Then I found online the listing for Scott-Wright Ford's Cemetery, Rayville, Richland Parish, LA which gives dates of birth & death for both Christopher Columbus Chennault and William Lathrum and says they were the husbands of Mary Jane Stewart. Also buried in this cemetery is John N Chennault, son of Christopher & Mary Jane.

This has really had me in a tangle because I'm trying to figure out how Florence & Perry Cumpton's mother, Betsey, is related to Mary J, Christopher Columbus Chennault and William Lathrum.

Questions:
1. Whose child was Betsey, mother of Florence & Perry Cumpton??? Mary Jane Stewart Chennault Lathrum is shown as the grandmother of Florence & Perry, but exactly how??

2. Was Mary Jane's maiden name really Stewart?? She's 23 b NC at the time of the 1850 census when she's found with Christopher Chennault and Elizabeth Stewart living with them is 7 b MS. This would make her 16 at the time of Elizabeth Stewart's birth. Isn't it possible that Elizabeth was her child from a first marriage??? Could the mother of Florence & Perry Cumpton (Betsey b 1845 MS) also have been a child of Mary Jane and a sibling to Elizabeth???

3. Does anyone know when/where Wilford Cumpton and Betsy -- married??? Florence was born Jan 1866 MS and Perry was b 16 Dec 1869 MS (I have been told Sunflower Co). Katie was born bet 1869-70 in LA.

4. Does anyone know when/where Christopher Columbus Chennault & Mary Jane married??? John N Chennault was b 9 Jul 1853 LA.

5. Christopher Columbus Chennault died 13 Feb 1862 likely in Richland Parish as he's buried in Scott-Wright Ford's Cemetery, Rayville, Richland Parish, LA. But I'm not leaving out the possibility that he could have died in Morehouse Parish. William Lathrum and Mary Jane had 2 children that I know of: Emma b 1866 & Laura b 1868. So Mary Jane married William between 13 Feb 1862 and 1866. Does anyone know when/where (Morehouse or Richland Parish)??

Perhaps I should have stopped when I found Florence & Perry Cumpton with their parents, Wilford Cumpton & Betsey on the 1870 Richland Parish census, but I didn't and now I've got all kinds of questions.

All help appreciated.

Lisa
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LisaFFranklin 1 Dec 2009 10:58AM GMT 
dianethomason... 23 Jul 2010 10:36PM GMT 
LisaFFranklin 25 Jul 2010 12:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions