Search for content in message boards

Girod/Dorig connection

Replies: 13

Re: Girod/Dorig connection

Posted: 25 Jul 2001 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Sep 2002 8:37PM GMT
Surnames: Girod/Dorig
Yes, there is truth in the story about the name Dorig. It was Girod spelled backwards according to my mother. My parents were married at Dorig July 25, 1920. This was only a post office in a store owned by Mr. Landeaux and located just inside Caldwell parish on La. Hwy 133. Although Mother and Grandpa lived in Richland parish across Beouf River I suppose Mom and Dad crossed the river in a boat to the nearest place they could get married. Mr. Landeaux might have been a justic of peace, that I am not sure of. Later as a child in the late 40's and early 50's we live in Richland parish but just across the parish line so I remember seeing the little store building that Mother always said was also the post office. Mother often spoke of the Landeaux's and Girod's which lived a few miles farther south on this same highway. Some of the Girod grandchildren were near my age and we played together. One of the girls still lives is Columbia as far as I know. I had the privilege of attending a family reunion of a friend at the Landeaux home a few years ago shotly before it was destored by fire. The store building was gone at that time but I did here the daughter of the Landeaux's talking about it. The home was really something for when it was built (not sure when it was) and was in the process of being restored when faulty wireing cause the fire. I have a lot of memories of this area. The Laudeaux home was an important place during the 1927 flood as it was one of the few places that was high and not covered by water. Hope this helps you. Will be gald to answer any question if I can or point you to some one that can. Is there a Felix Girod in your family? Sue
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jane Nearing 8 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
suemetcalf 25 Jul 2001 6:04AM GMT 
Jane Nearing 26 Jul 2001 12:14AM GMT 
suemetcalf 25 Jul 2001 3:09PM GMT 
jerreaux 31 Jul 2001 1:10AM GMT 
Jane Nearing 31 Jul 2001 2:33AM GMT 
jerreaux 31 Jul 2001 2:48AM GMT 
imbell1 22 Oct 2002 4:34PM GMT 
Jane_Nearing 22 Oct 2002 6:51PM GMT 
Audioslave160 25 Apr 2011 6:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions