Search for content in message boards

Price/Reid inquiry............

Replies: 1

Dee Brister (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2006 9:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brister, Price, Reid, Cryer, Bennett)

(Surnames: Brister, Price, Reid, Cryer, Bennett)
I descend from Madison Price(my grandfather)son of Jesse Price& Rachell Bennett. I lived about a mile east of the old Price home in Sieper,Louisiana. Unfortunately, you don't ask the right questions when they are living. I did ask my Great Aunt Mary when I was 12, how long she thought she would live. She said she hoped to live as long as her ggf. I asked how long he lived but not who he was. She said "Honey, he was 110 when he died".After grandfather had died and all his 11 brothers and sisters were dead, I became curious about this 110 year old ancestor. I asked my grandmother if granddad had ever talked about family. She said the only name she remembered was REID. Knowing that they came to Rapides in 1858/9 from Tangaphoa Parish, I began my search there. On the 1850 Census of Livingston Parish, I found a Jesse Price, age 19 along with 4 other siblings living in the household with a Henry Kibby. Kibby's wife was listed as Maury and as Mulatto (The way Indians were listed on the census.) About 6 years ago I was researching in Amite, Louisiana and I mentioned this 110 year old ancestor my Aunt Mary had mentioned. A researcher there said " why thats old John Reid who had 6 kids by an Indian wife and hes buried in Briarpatch Cem. just NE of Hammond. He was b. in 1768 in SC and died in 1878
" Now I tell you all of this to tell you what I believe. I believe Maury Kibby was the mother of Jesse Price and I also believe she was Margaret Reid, daughter of old John Reid. One of John Reid's sons was living next door to the Kibby family in 1850. The courthouse in Livingston burned about 1890 so very little is available on the family in that area.
On that 1850 Census there is a David Price in the Kibby household. When Jesse Price went to Camp Moore to fight in the Civil War, a David Price joined the same unit on the same day as Jesse. David was killed in 1862 in a battle at
Cornith, Miss. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with information that may help me solve this Jesse Price/John Reid mystery

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dee Brister 19 Jun 2006 3:30AM GMT 
1_c_thompson 22 Oct 2011 2:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic