Search for content in message boards

Gormans in St Helena Parish, Louisiana, 1810-1860

Replies: 2

Gormans in St Helena Parish, Louisiana, 1810-1860

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 12:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gorman
Anybody else researching the various Gormans in St. Helena Parish in the early 19th century?

There seem to be a lot of men with the same few given names; trying to sort them all out is giving me a headache.

Gormans I'm especially interested in:

David Gorman who married Rebecca Kemp. He was an early comer to Washington Parish, and moved over to St. Helena Parish by about 1813. He may have been from South Carolina.

Thomas Gorman. There's one who married Artemecia Staples Williams in, I think, 1847. There's another (or, could be the same man) who is the son of
David & Rebecca Gorman. There's a Thomas Gorman who was a contemporary, in age, of David Gorman. There is at least one more Thomas Gorman, but he's a bit younger (born in the 1840s) than the Thomas Gormans I am researching.

Elizabeth Gorman - she was murdered by a slave in St. Helena Parish in 1837 or 1838. This slave was caught, tried, and executed. A Thomas Gorman received compensation for the economic loss of the executed slave. Is this yet another Thomas Gorman? Was Elizabeth his wife? Mother? Sister? The daughter of Thomas Gorman and Artemecia Staples (Harriet Gorman) inherited the land that this Thomas Gorman held under the name of Elizabeth Gorman. I can find no marriage or any other record that ties this Thomas Gorman and Elizabeth Gorman together.

Does any of this ring a bell for anyone?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
devinsker 30 Dec 2011 7:37AM GMT 
DADunnington 30 Dec 2011 11:00PM GMT 
devinsker 2 Jan 2012 6:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions