Search for content in message boards

Rosario Giordano

Replies: 19

Re: Rosario Giordano

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 9:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
From Steve Vizzini

Without knowing a specific village or town in Italy or Sicily where Rosario Giordano was born, it's going to be like finding a needle in a haystack.
"Italy" was the standard entry on US records for all Italian and Sicilian immigrants regardless of specific origin. I have the same problem with one of my ancestors

That said here are a few observations.

1880 is about in the middle of the bulk of the Italian/Sicilian migrations to Louisiana. Before the Civil War, I believe that most of the Italians were from the mainland, not Sicily. After the Civil War, the Sicilians really began to flow in. My guess is that by 1880 or so, they were Sicilian, not Italian (if you will bear with my distinction).

I'm not sure how many Sicilian villages sent their people to Louisiana. There were perhaps hundreds depending upon how you want to count. Ustica, Cefalu, Villafrati, Termini Imerese, Contessa Entellina and even Palermo were well-represented. I know this from my own ancestors. There are probably plenty more.

Giordano is a very common name in both Italy and Sicily.
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo-viaggi-e-tradizioni-i...

One other note: in the old country, Rosalie would have been Rosalia. Sometimes Rosalia is confused with Rosaria.

I think your best chance at this point would be to look for any immigration record that might have both Rosario Giordano and his wife Rosalie or Rosalia coming into the US. Back then, they most likely came straight into New
Orleans, but I would also check at Ellis Island and Castle Gardens. If you do find a likely couple, then you might get a place of origin, ages or Rosalia's surname. Any of these would be helpful. The place of origin is the key if you want to extend your research into the old country.

Good luck!

Steve Vizzini
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jperilloux 17 Mar 2012 5:17PM GMT 
jperilloux 17 Mar 2012 6:17PM GMT 
rdgiordano 19 Mar 2012 2:16AM GMT 
paullleblanc 19 Mar 2012 3:35AM GMT 
rdgiordano 19 Mar 2012 3:50AM GMT 
jperilloux 19 Mar 2012 3:56PM GMT 
rdgiordano 20 Mar 2012 12:21AM GMT 
jperilloux 20 Mar 2012 1:48AM GMT 
rdgiordano 20 Mar 2012 1:55AM GMT 
jperilloux 20 Mar 2012 2:05AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions