Search for content in message boards

Boudreaux Surname

Replies: 19

Re: Boudreaux Surname

Posted: 7 Nov 2011 7:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Boudreaux, Trosclaire
Yes, adani183, thank you. I see links in the Google searches to the trees, but those trees contain only raw information and no indication if the information was simply copied from an unreliable source or if they are 20th in a line of copies. (Think of the game where you sit in a circle and whisper something from one person to the next. By the time it gets around to the first person, the thing whispered often bears no resemblance to the original.)

There is no shortage of *claims* about the southern Louisiana Boudreaux families, but there is precious little information to back up the claims.

Good sources of information identify previous sources where the information came from. Absent such a "trail", errors are extremely likely. I find that most people simply copy information without doing any checking of the facts. And sometimes people publish information that they know isn't true -- not to deceive, but because they are keeping track of possibilities that they are researching.

The trail of sources I am hoping to find will track back to "authoritative sources". These authoritative sources can be any number of things, but are ideally in writing and include the date that they were recorded. The authoritative sources need to be close to the information that they record, both in time and place. A birth or baptismal certificate, for example, is recorded within weeks of a birth/baptism and usually within a few miles of the birth/baptism. Similarly for birth certificates and census records. All usually show the date that the record was recorded. Although bible records don't usually show the date that the information was recorded, they are usually recorded by close family and often within months of the event.

I can find no such authoritative trail for my Boudreaux family in southern Louisiana. I have run into a dead end at my 3g-grandparents, Clairville Louis Boudreaux (b. abt. 1823) and Odile Marie Trosclaire (b. abt. 1828). Both were born in Louisiana and lived in Lafourche and St. Mary parishes. I would be most grateful for authoritative sources of information about their ancestors.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
adani183 4 Nov 2011 11:50PM GMT 
mmbseven1 5 Nov 2011 5:22AM GMT 
BobStelly70 19 Feb 2013 6:04AM GMT 
Daniel Norton 6 Nov 2011 2:29AM GMT 
adani183 6 Nov 2011 2:34AM GMT 
adani183 6 Nov 2011 2:47AM GMT 
Daniel Norton 6 Nov 2011 1:41PM GMT 
adani183 6 Nov 2011 9:41PM GMT 
Daniel Norton 7 Nov 2011 2:45PM GMT 
adani183 1 Nov 2012 6:43PM GMT 
per page