Search for content in message boards

Tarleton family in St Mary's Parish

Replies: 3

Tarleton family in St Mary's Parish

Posted: 24 Nov 2001 12:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jan 2004 8:39AM GMT
Surnames: Tarleton, Tarlton
I am interested in the Tarleton family in St Mary's Parish. My GG Grandfather and G Grandfather were both born in KY but spent a part of their lives in St Mary's Parish. I assume that they had relatives in the Parish.

My Great Grandfather Leo Tarleton spent the second half of his life in San Antonio TX, but was living in St. Mary's Parish when the Civil War started. "He entered the Confederate service at the age of fifteen years, first enlisting from St. Mary's Parish, La., in an artillery company. Later, being an accomplished horseman, he joined Company E, Second Regiment Louisiana Cavalry, with which he served until the close of the war, doing all his campaigning in Louisiana under Gen. Richard Taylor. He took part in numerous engagements in the state, including those of the Red River campaign of 1864, Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, and, the fighting that followed until the Federals were driven back to the Mississippi River." (from: CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY VOLUME 11, TEXAS BY COL. O. M. ROBERTS PAGE 648-649)

His father, also Leo Tarleton ended his days in Georgetown, KY but, "Previous to the Civil War Col. Tarleton was an extensive sugar planter in St. Mary's Parish LA; he had also large cotton plantations in Madison Parish, and on the Mississippi river." (quoted from Gov. Garrard His Descendants and Relatives, p 77).

I would appreciate any information anyone might have on either of these people and their relationship to other Tarleton's in St. Mary's Parish.

Thank You
John Garrard Tarleton
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JTARLETON1949 24 Nov 2001 7:28PM GMT 
Lucretia Lehmann 14 Dec 2001 7:25PM GMT 
William Rando... 28 Feb 2013 8:02PM GMT 
JTARLETON1949 4 Mar 2013 7:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic