Search for content in message boards

Josephine and Joseph Boquet

Replies: 6

Re: josephine and joseph boquet

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 2:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Jules,
Joseph and Josephine were my great-great grandparents. My great grandfather was Victor Andre Boquet (4/19/1871). My grandmother (his daughter) Exelina Marie Boquet (10/6/1889).
In 1982, Ms. Laise Ledet published a geneaology study of the families of Point-aux-Chenes, 'They Came, They Stayed'. It details the Boquet family. Although there are no birth dates for Joseph and Josephine, I believe they were born sometime between 1840-1850 since their first child is listed as being born 6/19/1863). Ms. Ledet, who worked with the Catholic Church, spent a great part of her life researching the families of Pointe-aux-Chenes. I spoke with her at some point in the 1990's. She said that she had visited many European churches researching baptism and marriage records. Because so many of the churches of the Pas de Calais region were burned during WWII many of the pertinent records were lost. But her research indicated that they were from the Pas de Calais region "probably Lens".
Joseph was Catholic and is buried in the St. Ann Church Cemetary in Bourg. His very old crypt is still there near the front, but his remains have been reburied in the back in the new mausoleum with other family members. The church rectory has these records. Because Josephine was Protestant or Episcopalian she was not allowed to be buried in the Catholic Cemetary and thus was buried in Magnolia Cemetary in Houma. She attended the St. Matthews Church on Barrow Street.
I spoke with a woman in Bourg (who was approx 95 at the time). I think her maiden name was Boquet. She knew my grandmother and may have been a cousin. She recalled that Josephine returned to France many times during the time when she lived in Houma/Bourg. It is believed that my grandmother (Exelina Marie) was born during a visit to France when my great-grandfather (Victor Boquet) and his wife accompanied Josephine during a visit in France. Victor was Jules brother.
Joseph and Josephine's first four children were born in France (according to Ms. Ledet's book). They were Marie Elodie(6/19/1863), Luc Adam (8/4/1868), Victor Andre (4/19/1871), and Joseph (11/9/1873). A fifth child, Estelle Victoria's birthplace was unknown (8/12/1877). It could be that her name is also listed as Esther (or they could have been twins). It is believed that Joseph and Josephine departed France around that time.
The book list's a son Julien (1/2/1885) with some record in Montegut church (probably baptism). My father was confused by this, because he didn't remember an uncle named Julien, but did remember a "Nonc Jules".
One other child of Joseph and Josephine was born in Louisiana, Andre Clay (4/30/1891).
Their oldest daughter, Marie Elodie, married in Montegut 6/19/1882. So the family was in the U.S. by that time.
I was told that Josephine returned to France many times and that she had sisters that she would visit in France. Usually one of her sons would take her to New Orleans to board a train to New York where she would then board a ship to France.
In speaking with one of Josephine's granddaughters, she told me that her grandmother (our grandmother, Josephine) was a beautiful woman and that she was very pious. She never raised her voice and corrected her grandchildren (when they mis-behaved) by having them kneel at her side (from her rocker) and for them to pray to the "Baby Jesus" to help them to be better children.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jacquelyn Rodrigue Willilams 16 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Jules David Boquet 21 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT 
audreyl34 7 Dec 2001 1:54AM GMT 
dbd1979 20 Dec 2003 5:37AM GMT 
julesboquet 21 Feb 2011 10:29PM GMT 
jwilliams0831 11 Apr 2012 8:39PM GMT 
Mona Escobar 27 Dec 2001 3:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions