Search for content in message boards

Family names of Billiot, Foret, Gregorie, Liner

Replies: 5

Family names of Billiot, Foret, Gregorie, Liner, Roubion

Posted: 31 Jan 2005 7:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 May 2011 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: Billiot, Foret, Gregorie, Liner, Roubion, Iris, Herys, Nerisse, Enerisse, Eric, Billaux, Eris, Nerisse
"HELLO I GUESS I COME FROM A HUGE FAMILY AND I HAD NO IDEA JUST HOW BIG IT IS"
I can relate, Venus!
When I began my family search I had the advantage of having information reseached by some Aunts and Uncles to begin with. Since I had none of their notes and such, I began by verifying the data I had. Some of it was not correct, or at least incomplete.
For instance the fact that I had indian blood on my mother's side was news to me. The Billiot family has an Indian heritage, and appears in two tribes in Louisiana through our ancestress Marianne Iris (who also appears under these MANY other names: Marie Narisse, Marie Enerisse, Mariane Erice, Mary Eric, Marian(n)e Eris, Marie Iris, Marian Billaux.

According to professional genealogist sources used to grant the Houmas tribe a charter, this line has a a tri-racial background. This was disputed by another professional genealogist, in an email correspondance - but without details of why. After more research, and through adding the World Tree to my membership, I found our ancestress Marianne iris under ANOTHER variant spelling of her last name: Marie Herys (Heris). I believe that is the reason the other researcher told me that Marianne's Houmas' researched background was not correct.

This has led to my most recent roadblock/dilemma: I have two completely different backgrounds for Marianne Iris (Marie Narisse, Marie Enerisse, Mariane Erice, Mary Eric, Marian(n)e Eris, Marie Iris, Marian Billaux, Marie Herys). One is a tri-racial (french, negro, Indian) background, with ancestors from France and the Caribbean, and the other is a bi-racial French/Indian canadian background.

That makes going back beyond Marianne a bit of a challenge, and of course what keeps Genealogy interesting! Of necessity my research is being done online, which limits me a bit. Sorry to go on and on - I am hoping to get some help by putting this puzzle out for others to examine.

So, if anyone has further information or documentation of Marianne's background, help ...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gladys a bailey 20 May 2004 3:07PM GMT 
venhuff 30 Jan 2005 4:18PM GMT 
Laurel_Ann 31 Jan 2005 2:30PM GMT 
celinaantolin... 1 May 2011 7:19PM GMT 
Laurel_Ann 2 May 2011 3:20AM GMT 
celinaantolin... 3 May 2011 1:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions