Search for content in message boards

Perkins in 1840s and beyond in Union Parish

Replies: 0

Perkins in 1840s and beyond in Union Parish

Posted: 3 May 2012 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Perkins, Wynn, Redd, Haymen, Turner, State, McCrary, Hendrix
I have received the book titled Family Maps of Union Parish via Inter Libraray Loan and have several surnames I would like to query for a possible family connection. I have compared some of these names with the GLO website and want tto reach out to anyone who might know any of the surnames mentioned. My surnames that married into my family are liste in the surname box on Ancestry.

My George Perkins, wife Elizabeth Wynn Perkins are enumerated in Union Parish, LA in 1850 census. George is listed as owning one slave, a black woman ago 40.

This couple is found to be enumerated right before first born, son John W, wife Tabitha ( nee Red) and kids, George, Ellen Elizabeth and James.

George appeared in Mobile, AL about 1840 and remained for some time. Was in Union in time to be enumerated Sept 1850. At some point he returned to Mobile, AL where he died Sept. 1853.

The John W. Perkins family moved to AndersonCo,TX, early/mid 1850s per poll tax records, AngelinaCo, TX mid/late 1850s, are in AngelinaCo in 1860 and are in RobertsonCo, TX as of 1870 census. John W. cant be found after 1870. Wife/widow Tabitha is found in Robertson in 1880.

I dont find land patents for George in Union but there are a few for John W, dated 1850, 51, 52 and 53. They are 19N, 1E section 23, with land pat. neighbors William Wilhite, John Hester, George W. Lynes, John Williams, John Honeycutt among many others. His land was near the Pine Creek in the south east portion of the county. Downsville became a PO in 1851 so that would be closest to the land. The 1850 census doesnt list the Township my family was enumerated.

Can anyone connect with any of these names?

Anyone else have family that moved from Mobile/SW Alabama area to Union about the same time and then move on to East Texas pre Civil War. Looking for possible family connection. I have a lot of loose branches in my tree.

Happy to share any research I have.
Sue
sodixey(omit)@hotmail.com (omit the word omit in email addy)

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions