Search for content in message boards

Robert Washington Martin

Replies: 7

Re: Robert Washington Martin

Posted: 10 Nov 2011 2:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
My GGGrandfather Mark McAlpin was in Co B, 17th LA Inf (Sabine Rebels).
His brother Alfred Mars McAlpin was with Co D 1st LA Cav (Rapides Rangers). Alfred died in the Atlanta Medical Hospital March 26th, 1862 of a variety of ailments (I have two pieces of correspondence regarding his ailments and subsequent death).

After the 17th surrendered at Vicksburg, GGGrandfather Mark rode with Capt Martin for a time in the Home Guard before reassembling with the 17th. GGGrandfather Mark was married to Emily Smart,and Capt Martin was married to Emily's sister Eliza. (There were eleven Smart brothers and sisters).

According to Mark's entry in the family bible (I have it), on April 21st,1864 a few weeks after Madison and Pleasant Hill, the Home Guard was out chasing suspected Jayhawkers around Anacoco.

Included in the group were Captain Martin, Mark McAlpin, Reese Judson Smart (Emily and Eliza's brother), M. H. Stanley, and others. They chased down a band of Jayhawkers, and in the skirmish that followed, Reese Judson Smart was “shot by mistake by M. H. Stanley, one of his comrades”. Mark buried Reese at Elizabeth Chapel near his home (also named one of his children Reese Judson McAlpin in his memory).

The Federal Army never quit harrassing Martin even after the the war, he moved to Mooreville, Texas, near Waco. He died on November 13th, 1866, with Federal cavalry still pursuing him.

Mark and the 17th were surrendered on May 8th, and paroled in June. Mark became a Louisiana State legislator in March of 1874.

I have a picture of Capt Martin and his wife if it is useful to you.

Best

Michael T McAlpin
Alpharetta, GA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
martinwimpee 8 Jul 2004 12:28AM GMT 
Michael T McAlpin 9 Jul 2004 2:01AM GMT 
Martin Wimpee 9 Jul 2004 8:40PM GMT 
donaldrparker... 10 Nov 2011 5:59PM GMT 
martinwimpee 10 Nov 2011 9:05PM GMT 
air1mtm 10 Nov 2011 9:09PM GMT 
donaldrparker... 10 Nov 2011 9:52PM GMT 
Colleen Klein 3 Aug 2004 5:22PM GMT