Search for content in message boards

Family Research

Replies: 10

Re: Jones

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 11:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Donna,

I just found your old post seeking information on Mordecai and Nancy Self Jones. This is extremely late in coming so please disregard if you already have this information - Mordecai and Nancy were married in Alabama not Texas. Her brother, James Self signed for them to get married as did Mordecai's father, Francis Jones. I have their marriage date in my records if you need it.

I have also searched for years for their burial location and believe 99% that they are buried at Pisgah in the Toro Community next to their youngest child, Henry Jefferson (Uncle Bud) Jones. The last record I can find of Nancy is that she is in the household of Bud. I searched at Beech Grove, Good Hope, at their old home place on the Sabine River, and in the woods off the Old River Road. There are also tons of graves marked with just a rock at Little Flock Cemetery in Negreet where Ophelia is buried but I still think they are at Pisgah.

Uncle Bud didn't die until the 1940's. On the grave location board (which is very old) inside the cemetery, there are 2 unmarked graves annotated next to Bud. The graves in the cemetery are not in straight rows so it's kind of hard to determine but there is sufficient space next to Bud for his parents to be buried. There are no stones or markers of any kind but at one time someone sure knew that someone was buried there or they wouldn't have listed them on the board. I have recently thought of just placing a marker at that location in their "memory" but I sure would like to be able to find at least a window for their death dates to put on the stone and of course it would be great if I could find out 100% that that was their grave sites.

My cousin Paul Hennigan has done some research also but not toward locating grave sites. My Grandmother was Lizene Rayburn Tilley, Granddaughter of Nancy and Mordecai. Her 1st Cousin, Florida Marsh Palmer had dictated a story on Nancy and Mordecai to her daughter who wrote it down for her and all indications were that Nancy was part Cherokee and Mordecai was part Creek. Do you have the information your brother found in Utah about Mordecai being Cherokee???? Any new leads would be appreciated.

Your cousin,

Cheryl Tilley Perkins
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Francis 24 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Sandy 6 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Donna Ulrich 3 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
JoyceHoller 14 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
nonoaccount1 22 Mar 2004 3:25AM GMT 
Donna Overacker Ne: Ulrich 1 Apr 2004 6:37AM GMT 
JoLynn Self 1 Apr 2004 7:59AM GMT 
clpblp161 27 Feb 2012 6:21AM GMT 
bwynn 13 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Mae Davis 6 Jul 2010 11:35AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions