Search for content in message boards

Tobias Smith/James McDonald Smith

Replies: 0

Tobias Smith/James McDonald Smith

Posted: 14 Apr 2012 9:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
My maternal gg-grandmother, Leah Smith Craft, is a sister of James McDonald Smith. Leah and James are children of Tobias Smith and Rebecca Narcissus Bankston. In the 1850's, James, his wife E. Matilda Craft, and family moved from Smith Co., MS. to Winn Parish, LA. Leah, her husband William Whitmel Craft, and family moved from MS to Rapides/Vernon Parish, LA.

To further connect these families, Dr. Spencer M. Smith, son
of James M. and Matilda (Craft) Smith married Saleta Ware Turner. Susan Katherine Craft, my maternal g-grandmother,
daughter of Leah (Smith) and Wm. Whitmel Craft, married
Saleta's brother, Gilford Boswell Turner.

Story is that after the Civil War, Susan came from Rapides/Vernon Parish for a visit with her Smith relatives in Winn Parish, met and married Saleta's brother, Giff Turner. According to his Civil War Pension Papers, they were married in Winn Parish, LA, Sept. 13, 1868 by Rev. Bellamy.

Does anyone who researches the Tobias Smith/Rebecca Bankston Family have confirmation of all of their
children? (A Bible Record, a Will, Probate Record, Deed, book, etc.) The children weren't listed in census records with their parents, as all were born before 1850, when individuals in families were first named on the census.

Specifically, I'm looking for any proof that Leah Smith Craft is the daughter of Tobias Smith and Rebecca Narcissus Bankston.

Thanks for any help.
Rebecca

Find a board about a specific topic