Search for content in message boards

How to find information in Louisiana

Replies: 9

How to find information in Louisiana

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 8:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Mar 2010 4:29AM GMT
Hi everyone

My mother never really knew her biological mother, due to her mothers lifestyle she went to live with her father at a early age. Her mother then died when my mother was about 15. My mom spent the last week of her mothers life with her at the hospital. On her deathbed she told my mother that she had an older brother. She died days later at a state type mercy hospital in Louisiana. All my mom knows is she was most likely buried in an unmarked grave but we have no idea.

I have just started trying to put together the pieces of my grandmothers side of the family in hopes of possibly finding some links to my missing uncle. I have found census records from when she was a child. But when I search her maiden name I cannot get a death record or SS index. I don't know if she ever married or not. My mom doesn't know much about her mother and by all evidence she was an only child.

My question is this.. Would anyone have any pointers on how I can try to get some information about my grandmother, specifically her death record or where she might be buried?
My mom only has a copy of her own birth certificate but that gives no other information on her mother other then what we know, her name. I am beginning to feel like I am hitting a brick wall, My mothers memories are sketchy but I am beginning to think my best bet might be narrowing down the hospital she could have died at and see if they would have any records.

Do you know if any vital statistics office or SS will release any information regarding the number of children a person has had if you don't have a lot of vital info on them? She died around 1970, so its been over 25 years I don't know if that would work in my favor or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am so excited to find out information on my family I never knew anything about, but its also frustrating when you don't know what way to go.

Thank you!
Julie
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Julie Mast 29 Mar 2010 2:31AM GMT 
roots4mi 29 Mar 2010 10:37AM GMT 
Julie Mast 29 Mar 2010 1:28PM GMT 
sixrwe 29 Mar 2010 2:36PM GMT 
EdnaJPinta 30 Mar 2010 8:21PM GMT 
Julie Mast 31 Mar 2010 2:56PM GMT 
nanablue2007 9 May 2010 2:26PM GMT 
BarbaraMunson... 8 Jun 2010 12:21AM GMT 
skipbar1 3 Sep 2011 2:54PM GMT 
sixrwe 9 May 2010 4:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions