Search for content in message boards

Where's Ouellette, Maine? (Arroostook county)

Replies: 14

Re: Where's Ouellette, Maine? (Arroostook county)

Posted: 2 May 2002 4:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 5:09AM GMT
Surnames: Gendron, Gagnon
This has been a great thread and thanks to Nicholas for clearing things up about Ouellette. However, I'd like to add that for census lookups don't stop at T17 R5. I found the Ouellette, Pelletier, and Martin families in T17 R4, Frenchville (formerly T17 R7), Eagle Lake, and Wallagrass Plantation (T17 R6). For one person who emailed me as a result of this thread, I found the family of her great grandfather, who was supposed to have been in Ouellette, in Wallagress, two houses away from my own kin. Talk about small world! This all just goes to show how valuable this board is as a genealogy resource, so keep those posts coming.

One note, however. If you ask for a lookup from someone, be sure to include names and dates for both parents and a list of all known children with any known dates. The census, especially for our French-Canadian kin, is full of Joseph and Marie marriages that can only be sorted out through lists of their children. Because infants were given so many names, you never know what will be on the census. My own mother was baptized Marie (saint name) Yvette (middle name) Jeanette (given name) Juliette (baptismal name) Gendron but never went by anything other than Jeanette Yvette Gendron. On the other hand, her sister Marie Marguerite Theresa, goes by Marie Theresa (or M. M. Theresa). My grandparents, Joseph Augustin Gendron and Marie Marguerite Lucille Evangeline Gagnon may be listed in one census as Joseph and Marie, another as Joseph and Lucille. It took me nearly a year to realize that Lucille's father, Alfred Gagnon, was so hard to find because his name is Paul Alfred George and each census had him as something different.

Happy hunting, Sharyn
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Nicholas Hawes 1 May 2002 1:29PM GMT 
Nicholas Hawes 1 May 2002 12:54PM GMT 
Sharyn McGlin... 2 May 2002 10:12PM GMT 
JADufault 6 Oct 2012 3:53AM GMT 
HerbNichols1 8 Oct 2012 8:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions