Search for content in message boards

David Patch - Maine - mid 1800's photo

Replies: 0

David Patch - Maine - mid 1800's photo

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 9:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
During a very recent visit to Maine and Massachusetts, I stopped by an outdoor antique fair in Maine and noticed several brown/white 2 1/2 x 4ish " photo tintypes - one of these had a handwritten name of David Patch. There is not a date on the photo, but the young gentleman could be anywhere from 18 to 28 years of age (best guess).

It is mounted on a stock paper border and the photographer name on the back is Ayers Photography and Ferrotype Rooms, 130 Middle Street, Portland.

(Per a google search: Ferrotypes first appeared in America in the 1850s;
Ferrotypes were sometimes put into cheap papier-mâché cases or cardboard mounts; Most ferrotypes are fairly small – about 2×3 inches

This photo is in great condition, very clear, sharp, and not faded. (The seller stored all his tintypes inside individual thick driver's license type plastic casings to prevent scratching.)

This gentleman (David Patch) is sitting w/ crossed legs on some type of stool, placed next to what could be table - both are draped w/fabric with a long roped fringe. He is wearing a short buttoned jacket that is loose fitting w/ a top chest pocket and long cuffed sleeves. There appears to be a vest under the jacket and some type of bow tie around his shirt collar. His hair is short and parted on the side.

The cost was only $4.50, so I took the chance in purchasing it, hoping I could find the family of this David Patch. (I wish there other tintypes that also included names, but sadly, this was the only one).

I have just started to look for possible PATCH family members of this individual - if anyone is interested, all I ask is for reimbursement cost of the photo.

Regards,
Kay (please email: KayClerc@yahoo.com)

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions