Search for content in message boards

Leicht / Light in Waldoboro

Replies: 0

Leicht / Light in Waldoboro

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 6:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Leicht, Light
Hi there! Maybe someone can help me get past my brick wall!

I am a descendant of Civil War Major Harvey Everett Light who was born 1834 in Fishkill, Dutchess County, New York. Harvey's father was James Light and James' father was Wolsey Light sometimes spelled Woolsey Light. Woolsey was born in Dutchess County 7 July 1762 and that's where it ends for me. I know little else.

Anything else I do know comes from the book Light Genealogy of America where a letter from my GGG grandfather Major Harvey Everett Light talks of the Palatinate origin of his branch of Lights and how our ancestor came from Germany by way of England and settled in Maine at least for a time:

"In the year 1892 and early pare of 1893 I
followed matters up quite closely as to the antecedent
condition of the Light families, and located large
numbers in most of the states, in some much more
numerous than in others, and quite a variety of con-
dition derived; but in Maine, where the origin is de-
veloped, they are of German descent. A family in
Maine that represented they were of English extrac-
tion, as I followed the correspondence I finally
located a German Bible with family record within.

The family, which had made its circuit around through England and into the State of Maine, also on my father's side, I finally obtained the data as to his antecedents by transcript from a German Bible, leaving no doubt in my mind that they were originally of German descent; my great-grandfather marrying an English woman for his second wife, thus leaving my father of German-English extraction, and he in turn married a Holland woman, my mother. I have not been able to obtain the name of my great-grandfather or his immediate location. As to the family, his children were scattered, and my father moving from the country
while we were young and dying in middle life, those conditions have not permitted my tracing back to my grandfather. The particular data as to brothers and sisters, and antecedents is:

My grandfather, Wolsey Light,
b. July 7, 1762,
d. Apr. 11, 1828
aged 65 yr. 9 mo. 4 days
By trade a wheel and millright. In his later life lived on a farm near Shenandoah, 17 miles from Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
His first wife's name unknown."

My research has led me to believe that my Lights could have been at Waldoboro where a large number of Palatinate Germans settled after coming through England. Interestingly enough there was a Peter Leicht/Light, George Leicht/Light, and a John Leicht/Light at Waldoboro and I've done a little research on those people. I've found a great deal of information on these Leichts:

Johann Georg Leicht (son of Peter Leicht and Anna Barbara Ansel) was born 28 Oct 1713 in Oschelbronn, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany, and died 1766 in Waldoboro, Lincoln, Maine.
Johann Georg Leicht, b. 28 Aug 1743, Oschelbronn, Baden, Germany, d. 03 Oct 1786, Waldoboro, Lincoln, Maine.
Peter Leicht, b. 05 Feb 1751, Oschelbronn, Baden, Germany, d. 1837, Waldoboro, Lincoln, Maine.

**my Wolsey Light: b. 7 Jul 1762, Dutchess Co., New York

All I can think is that my Wolsey must be related to these men but I can find no proof. I would love to hear from anyone with any information or leads. Please email sip217@gmail.com.

Thank you,
Crystal

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions