Search for content in message boards

OGDEN family in Hampden, ME, near Bangor

Replies: 10

OGDEN family in Hampden, ME, near Bangor

Posted: 20 Aug 2010 6:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ogden, Crossman, Fitzgerald
Hello,

This week I am attempting to create a family-tree for a close family-friend. It is actually a set of FITZGERALD siblings, and their uncles and aunts, who need more information. All they knew is that the maiden name of their grandmother was Hazel OGDEN and that she had been born in Canada. I have placed many queries this week, and a very helpful researcher found a lot of information on Hazel's family.

I can't offer details at the moment, a quick summary is that: James A. OGDEN was probably born in Nova Scotia ~1870, and he seems to have moved over to New Brunswick. There he married Amelia CROSSMAN and had 6 of their children there. Hazel was born there in 1912, and in 1914 the family migrated over to Maine. They settled in Hampden which is one town south of Bangor. They had 2 more children there.

I just checked the 1920 census, and James and Amelia OGDEN are listed in Hampden, and 7 of their children are listed with them. James might have died in Hampden in 1920's, as Amelia and some of her children moved down to Cambridge, MA. 2 daughters remained there, and married and had children. The 1930 census for Cambridge has Hazel with her mother and she is 17. Her children believe she married at 17 to John Francis FITZGERALD. They seem to have had their first child in 1931 or 1932 in Cambridge, and went on to have many more.

(John FITZGERALD is much more difficult to learn about. He died in 1952 when all the children were still young. None of the children know anything about him. I probably will need to drive to Cambridge and ask the City Clerk for the information from his death record.) (The family-story is that he was somehow related to the well-known politician, John F. "Honey Fitz" FITZGERALD. I investigated that this week, and it is very possible. It seems he had 8 brothers, probably most marrying, and he had many cousins, possibly a half-dozen, male cousins (or father's cousins).)

I checked the archives of the Maine List and Board, and the OGDEN name has only been mentioned a few times, and not recently. The 1920 census has 21 OGDEN people mentioned, with most in Penobscot Co. and York Co.

In the archives of the OGDEN Boards, I see that many of the OGDEN couples in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick had been Loyalists. Possibly going there from NY or NJ. But, those couples haven't been mentioned on the Boards in many years (some 10 yrs. ago).

www.genforum.com (also)

Just offering this as an FYI in case someone needs information on the family. I don't know the married names of the 2 OGDEN sisters who remained in Hampden during 1920's.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

P.S. I still can't post to most Lists (3 1/2 weeks now). But, the last suggestion from the Help Desk is that "Comcast" is not sending out the e-mails in Plain Text. I checked my Tools page, and I have my settings to Plain Text (which is required by RootsWeb). I will call Comcast today and ask for help.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bbffrrpp 20 Aug 2010 12:14PM GMT 
unitaz 13 Jul 2011 8:17PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 13 Jul 2011 10:30PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 14 Jul 2011 10:22AM GMT 
unitaz 14 Jul 2011 4:10PM GMT 
unitaz 14 Jul 2011 8:23PM GMT 
bbn72 20 Aug 2011 6:20AM GMT 
CROGDEN 21 Feb 2013 5:27AM GMT 
bbffrrpp 14 Jul 2011 2:16PM GMT 
unitaz 14 Jul 2011 4:26PM GMT 
per page