Search for content in message boards

John Nicholas & Jennie Eriksson in Greenville

Replies: 1

John Nicholas & Jennie Eriksson in Greenville

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 11:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nicholas, Stametiethis, Eriksson, Erickson
This is an absolute “shot in the dark,” but do the names John Nicholas and Jenny Eriksson (or Erickson) living in or passing through Greenville sound familiar to anyone? I am very much grasping for straws here, but they were my great-grandparents. And to make finding them even more difficult, he was a Greek immigrant who arrived at an as yet unknown port in 1878 from Greece and his name was Nicholas Iovanoy (“Nicholas John” in English) Stametiethis though I cannot positively confirm the spelling. At some point though, he changed his name to simply John Nicholas and that is the name he went by until his death in 1917. My great grandmother was a Swedish immigrant, who arrived in New York with her brother in 1887, though her brother returned to Sweden only to immigrate himself a year or so later.

All that said, I know absolutely nothing about their stay in Greenville and would very much like to. All I know is that she arrived in New York in 1887 and their first daughter (my grandmother) was born in Seattle, Washington in 1892, so they would have been in Greenville no more than five years. They married 27 July 1891, and I have always felt that they married in Granville but I have no documentation for that. Did they marry in Greenville, or elsewhere in Maine? When were they there, and how long did they stay? All I know is that he left Seattle for the Yukon gold fields in 1898 claiming residency in Greenville, Maine (not Seattle), and Jenny and the kids were on the 1900 census in Seattle then the 1901 Canadian census in Dawson, Yukon Territory.

As I said, this is a pure shot in the dark but if anyone reading this recognizes any of this or can find my great grandparents (most likely named John & Jennie Nicholas by then), I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. Many thanks to you in advance for any information great or small.

David
List/board admin
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
David Cann 4 Aug 2011 5:18PM GMT 
carrollkimbal... 25 Aug 2011 8:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic