Search for content in message boards

The History of Belmont, Maine

Replies: 7

The History of Belmont, Maine

Posted: 7 Mar 2002 8:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Mar 2002 8:38AM GMT
Surnames: Belmont, Maine
I am in the final stages of doing a history of the first hundred years of Belmont, Maine in Waldo County, U.S.A. This is not the typical Vital Records book that my cousin, Jackie Watts, and I have done in the mid 1980's, or even like the Vital Records of Liberty, Maine that I did in 2000. Liberty, Maine had very good records, and in the mid 2980's, the town clerk graciously let me photocopy all of them. A facsimile copy was published by Picton Press of Rockport, Maine in 1993. There were problems with that copy, because, as most of us know, when you make copies of copies, which was probably a third generation copy by the time that it was published, it has lost much of its clarity. Then on the 23rd of January 1999, the unthinkable happened. The Community building, which housed the Liberty Town office burned to the ground, buring the original town records. When I made the master copy of the facsimile copy, I had used my original master. After it had been published, it was thought to have been destroyed. So, it was back to square one, and I reconstructed the records from the every-name index of the facsimile copy, and deciphering the pages. But in Belmont, Maine, no records have survived. That is, very few records, which are a few marriage records. The town records of Belmont, Maine burned in the Spring of 1855, when the store of John Crawford, then town clerk, burned. It was the same year that the Town of Morrill, Maine, then called North Belmont, was set off from Belmont. The State mandated that records be kept, enforcing it in 1892. From that time, the records that were recorded have been preserved [being once rescued from a fire, circa 1942, of the town clerk's house. But from 1855 to 1892, they are very scarce. I am reconstructing them from newspaper records, from surrounding local town records, from the Adjutant General's records, from census records, and have hand-copied the records from 1892 to the early 1940's, transcribed and put them into the computer, printed them out, and gone back to the town office to correct them. I am human, so I'm sure that errors have occurred, but I've attempted to find as many errors as possible. My father and his siblings, as well as my grandfather were born in this town, where I now reside. So, I am putting out a plea to anyone who might have information on the early town of Belmont, Maine to contact me. I have amassed about 500 pages, which will have an every-name index. I am in the process of finding a way to publish the book. I know which publisher I want to do it, but am not in the position that I can collect State tax, collect money, etc. to self-publish a book. I welcome any comments. We have Greene Plantation Historical Society in this town, which I was instrumental in organizing in 1989, but is almost at a stand-still because of lack of interest in the town. It can be a very discouraging task. Let me hear from you. I know that there were only a few early photos of Belmont. I've been collecting them for over 20 years. There was a "Model Farm" here in the early 1900's called 'The Pastures' operated by Horace Chenery, a descendant of an early Governor of Maine, Governor Crosby. I've found some fascinating newspaper clippings about 'The Chenery Farm', which my father remembered, and where my great-grandfather MOses Morse was working, when he came home for lunch, and died at the table, probably of a heart attack. Several other early family members worked at 'The Pastures'. Fascinating History!!! God bless. Isabel
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mareshme 7 Mar 2002 3:58PM GMT 
GMWOODII 15 Jul 2002 1:03PM GMT 
Morningmistde... 10 Jun 2007 3:22AM GMT 
Morningmistde... 12 Jun 2007 1:32AM GMT 
Anissa Ladd Schweighoffer 21 Jul 2002 9:30PM GMT 
Carol Blaisdell 17 Sep 2003 3:51PM GMT 
Isabel Morse Maresh 18 Sep 2003 1:13AM GMT 
Morningmistde... 10 Jun 2007 3:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic