Search for content in message boards

Abigail "Abbie" (Woodbury) Smith

Replies: 0

Abigail "Abbie" (Woodbury) Smith

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 7:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Woodbury Smith
Hi, my name is Kevin Mahoney. My great-great grandfather Otis Barney Smith, born October 09, 1874 in Searsport, Waldo, Maine and died 1957 in Belfast, Waldo, Maine, was the son of Fred F. Smith and Abigail A. "Abbie" (Woodbury) Smith.

I'm trying to track down Abigail's death certificate. The problem is, I don't know where or when she died. I don't even know what her name at death was. The reason I say this is because, on October 3, 1900 (Otis' date of marriage), his death certificate stated that while his father Fred Smith was deceased, his mother, Abbie Woodbury, was still living and in Pittsfield, Maine. She was listed as a housewife.

Now, I don't know why someone would write in "houseWIFE" for someone who was widowed, so that actually leads me to believe that Abbie remarried following Fred Smith's death and was residing in Pittsfield as the wife in a new household.

First of all, I didn't even know Fred had died before Otis' marriage. This was an inconvenient time frame for Fred to be living during, because I only have record of him on the 1880 Census (where he was living with Abby his wife and their 4 kids, Otis, Frank, Elmer and Clarence) and on Otis' marriage certificate, where he was listed as deceased.

So yeah, I don't know when Fred died. I would like to know, though. I've been searching for records of him and it's hard to find because of the absence of an 1890 Census and the fact that he was dead on 1900 so he was not on the 1900 Census either.

Abbie is a different story. I don't know what the name of her new spouse was, if there even was one. I don't know when she died, either. All I know is that she was born in Maine, married Fred, had 4 kids, became widowed sometime after 1880 but before 1900, and was living in Pittsfield on October 3, 1900. Sadly, I could not find her on the 1900 Census, possibly because she was under a new married name.

I want to find her death certificate so I can find her parents' names. I believe she was the daughter of James Woodbury, but I am not certain. Her mother's name was (possibly) either Catherine or Epaonnda.

Can someone help me find some more information on the Smiths/Woodburys?? This is proving quite difficult for me...

Find a board about a specific topic