Search for content in message boards

Ruth E (Davis) Higgins born Calais, Cutler or Eastport ca. 1819.

Replies: 0

Ruth E (Davis) Higgins born Calais, Cutler or Eastport ca. 1819.

Posted: 7 Oct 2013 7:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis, Richardson, Higgins, Smith
I am trying to find information (birth, family of origin, marriage record) on Ruth E Davis, ca. 1819 – 1901, wife of Charles Smith Higgins (1812 – 1893) of Lisbon, Maine. She is my 4th great grandmother who married Charles Higgins, the son of Dyer Higgins and Susanna Smith, by 1838. Buried in Maple Village Cemetery, Mapleton, Aroostook, Maine, her headstone also lists her husband Charles and a sister or cousin named Eliza Ann Davis, 1815-1894. Since Eliza predeceased her, Ruth was most likely the person who provided the details for the Eliza's death record. There, is listed Eliza's parents, William Davis and Sally Ann Richardson, both born in Cutler, Maine which would have been known as Plantation 11 at the time that she was born. Ruth's own death record reveals very little. I haven't been able to figure out their exact relationship.

I haven't found any official record of Eliza's parents, her birth record or much else with the exception of two census records, both from from 1880 where she's listed in two separate households. There is an age difference between the two records but I'm pretty sure it's her because she is listed as "deaf and dumb" in both. She is first enumerated on Jun 6, 1880 in Cooper, Washington, Maine in the home of Samuel Cormick. Additional details: Age 70, listed as "pauper" and "deaf and dumb". The second record is from June 16, 1880 in Baring, Washington, Maine in the home of her brother, William Davis (age 57) along with his wife, Eliza (Gray) Davis (age 66) and their granddaughter, Nellie M. Smith (age 4). Here she is listed as age 67 and also noted as "deaf and dumb".

I'm not sure where to look for more information on the William and Salley (or possibly Sarah) Davis family of Cutler, Maine and their family. It's possible that they were from Machias or Calais before Plantation 11 came to be, as Ruth's birthplace was possibly Calais per dau. Cordelia's death record; Cutler per dau. Rhoda's death record; and Eastport per son Orin's death record. Also not sure that Eliza's will be the birth family of Ruth Davis but am hoping this clue will get me a little closer.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions