Search for content in message boards

Algira Cooper (or Alzira, Alcira, Elzira, Elgira, Elcira) whose father was Joseph Cooper who m. Elgira Davis

Replies: 1

Re: Algira Cooper (or Alzira, Alcira, Elzira, Elgira, Elcira) whose father was Joseph Cooper who m. Elgira Davis

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 9:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis, Davie
Hello,

I was wondering if you have considered that Elzira DAVIE (sp?) might have come from another country ! (I thought the name looked more like DAVIE, than DAVIS.)

My (now) husband's grandmother was .always. known as Mrs. Elsie Pacheco. And, she always said she came to MA from the Azores in ~1905. And, she was born Elsie MOURA, but her marriage-record showed her parents as Frank and Phoebe MORRIS - their American names. They were actually Francisco and Philomena (ROSA) MOURA. My queries and responses and my on-line investigating have finally discovered her real birth-name was Elzira or Elsita MOURA.

One note is that census pages often say the people came from Portugal, when actually it was the Azores. And, Elsie always said she was born in Sao Miguel, and she was born in Faial. After she married and was widowed young, I found out she told .more. lies to her grandchildren.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

(on Lists and Boards for 12 yrs.; now an Admin for 10 Lists and 5 Boards)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mary Herps 27 Oct 2013 4:42PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 29 Oct 2013 3:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions