Search for content in message boards

DAVIS, HARRISON, GOUGER

Replies: 8

Re: Uriah

Posted: 13 Oct 2001 11:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Apr 2004 10:22PM GMT
Surnames: Davis
Here is what I have on Uriah and his children, I'm not sure about Joshaway, who here appears as Joshua, who I believe was the same as my great x 3 grandfather. I am not sure that Joshaway and my Joshua are the same people. Do you have more data on Joshaway?

Descendants of Uriah Davis I

Generation No. 1

1. URIAH1 DAVIS I was born Bef. 1732 in Wales or England, and died March 23, 1768 in Baltimore, Maryland. He married MARGARET Unknown in ?. She was born 1732 in ?, and died Unknown in ?.

Notes for URIAH DAVIS I:
[Davis4.FTW]

Uriah Davis left England in April 1732 and arrived in Annapolis, Maryland in October, 1732. He came over in a ship named Patapsco. Source, English Convicts in Colonial America. The will of Uriah Davis of Baltimore, Maryland lists his children and wife(no last name). Also, the book Baltimore County Families in America by Robert Barnes lists his wife Margaret and his children. The will is dated October 31, 1767 and is re witnessed on February 1, 1768. It lists his time of death as March 23, 1768. It also states that his widow renounces the Davises in the will and takes what the law gives her. A copy of this will is in the possession Neil Davis. The book, Baltimore County Families, page 160 states that Uriah Davis was tried for begetting a bastard child on the body of Mary Watkins in August 1740. The same book states on page 667 that Mary Watkins was indited having a bastard child in March 1739 and tried later. She named Uriah Davis as the father. Uriah's land tracts in Maryland were called Uriah's Abode and Uriah's Addition. I have information from Mrs. Jean Edge, a cousin, that Uriah Davis was probably the Captain of the ship Patapsco listed above. She sent to me ship records showing Uriah Davis and John Brown having been Captains of schooners making trips from Maryland to Rhode Island and from Rhode Island to Barbadoes and from Rhode Island back to Maryland. John Brown married Uriah Davis's widow.Tried in August of 1740 for begating a bastard on the body of Mary Watkins. Name of land tracts were Uriah' Abode and Uriah's Addition.

Uriah Davis left England in April 1732 and arrived in Annapolis, Maryland in October, 1732. He came over in a ship named Patapsco. Source: English Convicts in Colonial America. The will of Uriah Davis of Baltimore, Maryland lists his children and wife (no maiden name given). Also, the book, Baltimore County Families in America by Robert Barnes lists his wife Margaret and his children. The will is dated October 31, 1767 and is re-witnessed on February 1, 1768. It lists his time of death as March 23, 1768. It also states that his widow renounces the Davises in the will and takes what the law gives her. A copy of this will is in the possession of Neil Davis. The book, Baltimore County Families, page 160 states that Uriah Davis was tried for begetting a bastard child on the body of Mary Watkins in August 1740. The same book states on page 667 that Mary Watkins was indited having a bastard child in March 1739 and tried later. She named Uriah Davis as the father. Uriah's land tracts in Maryland were called Uriah's Abode and Uriah's Addition. Neil Davis has information from Mrs. Jean Edge that Uriah Davis was probably the Captain of the ship Patapsco listed above. She sent ship records showing Uriah Davis and John Brown having been Captains of schooners making trips from Maryland to Rhode Island and from Rhode Island to Barbadoes and from Rhode Island back to Maryland. John Brown married Uriah's widow in Maryland.

Notes for MARGARET:
[Davis4.FTW]

Margaret later married John Brown in Maryland.

Children of URIAH DAVIS and MARGARET are:
i. ABEDNEGO2 DAVIS, b. ?; d. Unknown, ?.
ii. DIANA DAVIS, b. ?; d. Unknown, ?.
iii. RACHEL DAVIS, b. ?; d. Unknown, ?.
iv. SHADRACK DAVIS, b. ?; d. Unknown, ?.

Notes for SHADRACK DAVIS:
Listed in the Hall County, Georgia Census of 1820.[Davis4.FTW]

Shadrack Davis was listed in the Hall County, Ga. census in 1820.

v. SUSANNA DAVIS.

Notes for SUSANNA DAVIS:
Possibly a illegitimate daughter with Mary Watkins.

2. vi. URIAH DAVIS, b. Maryland; d. 1808, Buncombe County, Chandler, North Carolina.
vii. WILLIAM DAVIS, b. ?; d. Unknown, ?.
3. viii. MESHACH BEDNAY DAVIS, b. 1749, Maryland; d. October 7, 1853, Gilmer County, Ga..
ix. SOLOMON DAVIS, b. 1767; d. Unknown, ?.

Notes for SOLOMON DAVIS:
[Davis4.FTW]

Land records from Iredell County show that Soloman Davis owned a large tract of land near the headwaters of South Yadkin River. Book C page 12-13 Iredell County, NC records; 18 Nov 1797, Solomon Davis to William Dotson for 40 pounds, 100 acres on South Yadkin originally granted to John Meadows 4 Jan 1792, then sold to Davis. Witnessed by Joshua Davis, proved 9 Jan 1798. Book C page 111-112, 20 Nov 1797, Solomon Davis to Joshua Davis for 20 pounds, 100 acres on South Yadkin, part of a grant of 10 Oct 1783. Witness William Dotson, proved 17 Feb 1798. More in Book H, pages 36,39 and 56, see notes on Joshua Davis. Solomon Davis is listed on the census in Rowan County in 1820. Solomon Davis is listed on the census in Polk County, TN in 1840. This is next to McMinn County, TN. In 1850, Solomon Davis was living with Isaac Davis in McMinn County, TN. In 1860, Solomon Davis was still living with Isaac Davis in McMinn County, TN and was listed as age 93. That would put Solomon Davis born about 1767.

More About SOLOMON DAVIS:
Date born 2: January 1, 1767, ?

x. MARIA DAVIS, b. ?; d. Unknown, ?.

More About MARIA DAVIS:
Date born 2: January 1, 1765

4. xi. JOSHUA DAVIS, b. January 1762, Baltimore Co. Md.; d. August 1849, Claiborne Co. Tennessee.
xii. ISAAC DAVIS, b. Baltimore County, Maryland; m. MARGARET MCSWAIN, Madison County, Kentucky; b. Rowan County, North Carolina.

Generation No. 2

2. URIAH2 DAVIS (URIAH1) was born in Maryland, and died 1808 in Buncombe County, Chandler, North Carolina. He married ELIZABETH Unknown in ?. She was born Unknown in Maryland, and died Abt. 1803 in Buncombe County.

Notes for URIAH DAVIS:
[Davis4.FTW]

Little is known about Uriah Davis II before he arrived in Iredell County. Several researchers have all thought that he came from Maryland. The names of the children of Uriah Davis I's will are the same as the name of the family of Davises that came to Rowan/Iredell County, NC area. He is thought to be buried in the Davis Family Graveyard located on the mountain side above what is known as the old J. Warren property and is accessed by Pisgah View Drive off Pisgah Highway at the Church of God. I have in my possession a plat of the property around the graveyard with location of this graveyard. Records of an annexation of extra land to Iredell County show that Uriah Davis owned a farm along the Catawba River around 1800. Thanks to the research of Richard and Cleone Davis from Ocoee, Florida, I have received copies of land transfers by Uriah Davis in Iredell County around Yadkin and Catawba rivers. I also have a copy of a land transfer from Uriah II to Uriah William Davis his son.

More About URIAH DAVIS:
Died 2: 1808, Buncombe County, Candler, N.C,

Notes for ELIZABETH:
[Davis4.FTW]

Elizabeth the wife of Uriah Davis II may very well be buried in the old Davis Graveyard on Pisgah View Drive off Pisgah Highway. I do not have any records to prove this but Uriah Davis II is supposed to be buried there.

Children of URIAH DAVIS and ELIZABETH are:
i. JOHN3 DAVIS, b. Abt. 1768, ?; d. 1823, ?; m. MARGARET POSTON, Unknown, ?; b. Abt. 1791, ?; d. Aft. 1850, ?.

Notes for JOHN DAVIS:
[Davis4.FTW]

According to Mrs. Jean Edge of Suches, Ga., John Davis went to the Suches, Ga. area to raise his family.

ii. HANNAH DAVIS, b. Abt. 1774, ?; d. Unknown, ?; m. JAMES WARREN, SR., Unknown, ?; b. April 5, 1764, ?; d. May 10, 1857, Buncombe County.

Notes for HANNAH DAVIS:
[Davis4.FTW]

Hannah Davis, wife of James Warren is buried at Pisgah Methodist Church off Pisgah Highway.

Notes for JAMES WARREN, SR.:
[Davis4.FTW]

James Warren, husband of Hannah Davis is buried at Pisgah Methodist Church off Pisgah Highway. I have land records that show James was the son of Robert Warren and grandson of William Warren of the original Rowan County, NC. Robert Warren's wife was Mary Mattie Morgan. I don't know what William Warren's wife's name was. That can probably be found in the marriage records in Salisbury courthouse. That will probably be my next trip. Robert Warren had other children named William, Sarah, John, Nancy, Robert M. and Hugh. This family originally came from Virginia to NC.

iii. GEORGE DAVIS, b. Abt. 1776, ?; d. Unknown, ?.

Notes for GEORGE DAVIS:
[Davis4.FTW]

George Davis supposedly went of McMinn County Tenn. to live. Could be ancestor of Davises who went from TN. to Mo. and then to Texas. Last account in Buncombe was when he was a co-executor with Daniel Davis in the estate of Uriah Davis II.

iv. BENJAMIN DAVIS, b. May 14, 1780, NC; d. January 13, 1870, Buncombe County; m. MARY POSTON, Unknown, ?; b. 1790, ?; d. 1855, ?.
v. URIAH WILLIAM DAVIS, SR., b. 1790, ?; d. Unknown, ?; m. EMILY HOWELL, Unknown, ?; b. Abt. 1794, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
vi. ELIZABETH DAVIS, b. Abt. 1792, ?; d. Aft. 1850, ?; m. MARTIN FULLBRIGHT, Unknown, ?; b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
vii. DAVID DAVIS, b. 1794, Buncombe County; d. Unknown, ?; m. (1) SARAH SALLIE HOLDEN, June 30, 1869, Buncombe County; b. 1800, Buncombe County; d. Unknown, Buncombe County; m. (2) ELIZA HOLLAND, Unknown, ?; b. 1833, Buncombe County; d. Unknown, ?.

Notes for DAVID DAVIS:
[Davis4.FTW]

John Warren, age 12 and Mary Warren, age 13 were living in the household of David and Sarah Davis in the 1850 Census.
1870 census lists David Davis living with Eliza Holland ? with 2 year old daughter Ida May who is possibly the daughter of David. I don't have any proof that David Davis was the son of Uriah Davis II but he was the right age and appeared as witness on several Davis land records.

viii. JAMES DAVIS, b. February 15, 1795, ?; d. Unknown, ?.

Notes for JAMES DAVIS:
[Davis4.FTW]

James Davis is believed to have stayed in or around the Rowan-Iredell-Burke Counties area.

ix. DANIEL MADISON DAVIS, SR., b. December 29, 1796, Buncombe County; d. Unknown, Buncombe County; m. (1) MAREY WARREN, Unknown, ?; b. 1799, North Carolina; d. July 23, 1865, Buncombe County; m. (2) SARAH, Unknown, ?; b. 1832, ?; d. Unknown, Buncombe County.

Notes for DANIEL MADISON DAVIS, SR.:
[Davis4.FTW]

Possibly buried in old Davis Family cemetery off Pisgah View Drive.

Notes for MAREY WARREN:
[Davis4.FTW]

Buried at Pisgah Methodist Church off Pisgah Highway.

More About MAREY WARREN:
Date born 2: 1799

x. MARY POLLY DAVIS, b. Abt. 1799, ?; d. Unknown, ?; m. ISAAC GOODWIN, ?; b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
xi. RACHAEL DAVIS, b. Abt. 1786, ?; d. Unknown, ?; m. ROBERT POSTON, Abt. 1810, ?; b. December 23, 1789, NC; d. Unknown, ?.

More About RACHAEL DAVIS:
Died 2: Aft. 1870, ?

More About ROBERT POSTON:
Date born 2: December 23, 1789, ?

3. MESHACH BEDNAY2 DAVIS (URIAH1) was born 1749 in Maryland, and died October 7, 1853 in Gilmer County, Ga.. He married LYDIA BENTLEY Unknown in ?. She was born Abt. 1755 in ?, and died July 15, 1847 in Gilmer County, Ga..

Notes for MESHACH BEDNAY DAVIS:
[Davis4.FTW]

All information on Meshach Davis and his children came from Mrs. Jean Edge from Suches Ga. Meshach was christened in 1790 into the Cherokee Tribe. International Geneology Index record-Film Number 1985359. Meshach was a Revolutionary War soldier and filed for a pension. Meshach's childrens names were taken from his pension record and Eastern Cherokee Claims.

Notes for LYDIA BENTLEY:
[Davis4.FTW]

Lydia Bentley was the daughter of a full blooded Cherokee mother.

Children of MESHACH DAVIS and LYDIA BENTLEY are:
i. SALLY3 DAVIS, b. 1790, ?; d. Unknown, ?; m. JACOB MASON; b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
ii. ISAAC DAVIS, b. 1797, Lincoln County, NC; d. Aft. 1870, Cherokee County, NC; m. RHODA JAMES, Bef. 1820, Buncombe County; b. 1802, Cherokee County, NC; d. Aft. 1880, Cherokee County, NC.

Notes for ISAAC DAVIS:
[Davis4.FTW]

Most of the information on Isaac Davis and his decendents came from the Fannin County, Georgia Heritage book.

iii. AARON DAVIS, b. Abt. 1800, Buncombe County; d. Unknown, ?; m. ELIZABETH ?; b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
iv. WILLIAM W. DAVIS, b. 1800, Ashe County, NC; d. 1869, Gilmer County, Ga.; m. ANNIE CROSS, Unknown, ?; b. 1803, ?; d. 1882, Gilmer County, Ga..
v. BENJAMIN DAVIS, b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
vi. ELIJAH DAVIS, b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
vii. ELIZABETH DAVIS, b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
viii. JAMES DAVIS, b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
ix. JOHN DAVIS, b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
x. RUTHA DAVIS, b. Unknown, ?; d. Unknown, ?.

4. JOSHUA2 DAVIS (URIAH1) was born January 1762 in Baltimore Co. Md., and died August 1849 in Claiborne Co. Tennessee. He married MARTHA HARRISON April 29, 1784 in Wilkes County, North Carolina, daughter of JOSEPH HARRISON and ANN BILES.

Children of JOSHUA DAVIS and MARTHA HARRISON are:
i. MARGARET (PEGGY)3 DAVIS, m. JAMES MARLOW.
ii. ELIJAH DAVIS, b. 1785, Iredell County, North Carolina.
iii. ANNAH H. DAVIS, b. June 12, 1794, Rockingham County, North Carolina; d. July 22, 1867, Wilksboro, Wilkes County, North Carolina; m. THOMAS MATHIS, May 14, 1810, Rockingham County, North Carolina; b. February 12, 1775, Rockingham County, North Carolina; d. October 9, 1847, Wilksboro, Wilkes County, North Carolina.
iv. ALEXANDER DAVIS, b. Abt. 1795, North Carolina; d. Abt. 1833, Claiborne County, Tennessee; m. (1) MARY GOUGER, January 23, 1816, Wilkes County, North Carolina; b. Abt. 1795, North Carolina; d. 1870, Claiborne County, Tennessee; m. (2) MARY GOUGER, January 23, 1816, Wilkes County, North Carolina; b. Abt. 1795, North Carolina; d. 1870, Claiborne County, Tennessee; m. (3) MARY GOUGER, January 23, 1816, Wilkes County, North Carolina; b. Abt. 1795, North Carolina; d. 1870, Claiborne County, Tennessee, January 23, 1816, Wilkes County, North Carolina.
v. SOLOMON DAVIS, b. 1796; d. December 1876, Pulaski County, Kentucky; m. (1) DICY GIDEON; m. (2) ELIZABETH GIDEON, May 16, 1815; b. March 12, 1798, Wilkes County, North Carolina; d. December 3, 1867, Knobnoster, Johnson County, Missouri.
vi. JOSEPH H. DAVIS, b. Abt. 1805, North Carolina; m. ELIZABETH ??; b. Abt. 1806, Tennessee.

More About JOSEPH H. DAVIS:
Date born 2: Abt. 1805, Rockingham, North Carolina
Record Change: September 9, 1998

vii. WILLIAM DAVIS, b. Unknown; m. RACHEL CLINGE, August 8, 1812.
viii. RACHEL DAVIS, b. Unknown; m. ? WILLIAMS.
ix. ELIZABETH DAVIS, b. Unknown; m. ISSAC CARTER.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ecdavis1966 4 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT 
cgibson 3 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
ecdavis1966 4 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
sharon davis jackson 14 Oct 2001 12:50AM GMT 
eddie140 14 Oct 2001 5:02AM GMT 
mark warren 31 Jan 2012 1:16AM GMT 
mark warren 31 Jan 2012 1:20AM GMT 
hillbilly_ros... 12 Jul 2012 6:30PM GMT 
NormanDavis29 6 Dec 2012 5:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions