Search for content in message boards

Hunter Family in Chesapeake City 1830's to 1875

Replies: 0

Hunter Family in Chesapeake City 1830's to 1875

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hunter, Dixon, Cooper, Wise
My Hunter family ancestors had a long involvement with early Methodism, and with the Methodist church in Chesapeake City, Maryland. I am hoping that the Methodist Charges in Chesapeake City will have records of them in their membership books or other records.

I am hoping that someone with a penchant for history, and some experience with genealogy could determine whether their holdings show any evidence of my Hunter Grandfathers, and Grandmothers in baptism, confirmation, marriage or burial records for the church in Chesapeake City? My finances are modest, but I would be very pleased to send suitable compensation for time, travel and out-of-pocket expenses.

Mother:Johanna S D Hunter (1788 – 1875) – lived her last 40 years in Chesapeake City, an active Methodist her entire life; lived with her daughter Isabella for the last 10 years of her life; buried in New Castle at the church burial ground on Delaware Street. Johanna was twice married, 1st to John M Wise in 1808 at Baltimore's First Methodist Episcopal Church, Rev. Welsh officiating; 2nd. to William Hunter in 1821 or so, in Florida Territory

Father:William Hunter: 1788 - ? Have not found a record of his death or burial.William and Johanna are my 3rd Great Grandparents on my mother’s side. Any records of his death have been difficult to locate, but when he returned from the Seminole War, he lived in Chesapeake City and Delaware City with his wife Johanna. It is my hope that some record of his death may be found in your books.

Step-son:James Wise 1809 – 1895… raised in Chesapeake City; left to go into the army,and when he returned, moved to New Castle City.

Step-son:John S Wise 1814 – 1896… childhood in Chesapeake City, he was the Methodist lumber merchant from Wilmington who hauled canvas tents to the site of the Brandywine Summit Methodist Camp Meeting of 1867.

Step-dau: Elizabeth “Betsy” Wise, born abt 1823 in Maryland; probably baptized at Chesapeake City, would have attended Sunday classes through 1835 or so

Daughter: Isabella Hunter was born Oct 1831 in Delaware City, but was raised and lived out her life in Chesapeake City. She married at a later age, about 1881, a Mr Tilson Credle;but she would have been an active Methodist throughout her life, under her maiden name. Isabella Hunter Credle died sometime after 1910 and before 1920, in Chesapeake City.

Son:William J Hunter, born 1821 in Florida; a resident of Chesapeake City in 1840;married, 1841, Elizabeth H Cooper at Chesapeake City; moved to St Georges by 1850; their first child, Mary Elizabeth Hunter was born in Chesapeake City, so she probably was baptized there in 1848 or 1849. A canal man and later locomotive engineer, he was very active in the New Castle Methodist church on Delaware Street, and was buried in their yard.

Son:Alexander Hunter, born abt 1825 in Florida, while his father was stationed in Pensacola, lived in Chesapeake City until at least 1840

Kurt D Odenwald
6544 La Cienega Dr
North Highlands, California 95660
odensue6544 [ at ] yahoo.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions