Poole family in Frederick County, Maryland

Replies: 0

Poole family in Frederick County, Maryland

Posted: 13 Apr 2007 10:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Poole, Riggs, Ford
From The Frederick Post dated May 9, 1918:
Real Estate Transfers
Albinus Poole and wife, et al., to Clyde W. Smith and wife, real estate in county, $10.00.

Obit from the News, Frederick, Maryland on July 25, 1953 printed from Ancestry.com:
Dr. Abinus Poole, of Fairmont West Virginia, died at the Parkersburg, WV hospital Tuesday, Aged 83 years. He was born in Ijamsville, a son of the late John W. and Matilda M. Poole, in August 1869. In 1897 he married Helen V. Fleming, who survives him. Dr. Poole was a prominent physician in WV, practicing at West Union and for a number of years he served a health doctor for Doddridge county. He graduated from the University of Maryland Medical School, Baltimore, in 1900, was a member of the American Medical Association, of the Masonic Lodge in Fairmont and of the West Union Methodist church. In addition to his wife, survivors include a daughter, Mrs Helen F. Van Fleet, Fairmont WV, two sisters, Mrs Minnie M. Oden and Mrs Mary E.M. Smith, all of this city. Funeral services were held Thursday At West Union,WV and were largely attended. Interment in Fairmont cemetery.
Certificate of Death from the West Virginian Sept of Health #10630 Ser #519 shows date of death as July 21, 1953, West Union, county Wood, usual residence Doddridge County, West Virginia. Death in St Joseph Hospital, Parkersburg, West Virginia where he had been for two days. His date of birth was August 29, 1869 in Maryland to John Poole and Miltilta (sp) Poole. His usual occupation was Doctor in the Medical business. The informant was Mrs. Helen VanFleet. He had acute leukemia, there was no autopsy. He was buried in a crypt July 23, 1953 at Woodlawn Abbey Cemetery.

Children I've seen for Mary Matilda Riggs are:
1) George 1855
2) Emily 1856
3) Mary 1858
4) James 1862
5) William 1865
1-5 are children by James Ford who died in 1866.
6) Minnie 1873
7) Hattie 1877
8) Albines 1879
6-8 are children by John W Poole
9) unknown child
All children are born in Maryland as was Mary Matilda. She also lists her parents as born in Maryland.
Bio of her son, Dr. Albinus Poole of Doddridge Co., West Virginia says his mother lived to be 82. Per the census she gave her birth year as 1834. From this I think her death year to be 1916.

The sale of real estate for $10.00 has me wondering if the real estate Albinus is selling is an inheritance from his mother and since the amount is to small could it be a token amount being sold to a family member? Also am wondering if Mary E.M. Smith was his step-sister, Anna Mary Ford. I have found no information on Anna Mary.

Julie
seashellgram@aol.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions