Search for content in message boards

Daniel RECKNER (1759-1829) and Reckner Cemetery on Westernport Road

Replies: 13

Daniel RECKNER (1759-1829) and Reckner Cemetery

Posted: 27 Jun 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Oct 2006 12:35PM GMT
Surnames: Reckner, Fazenbaker
From which of Daniel's children are you descended? I am descended from Elizabeth who married Jacob Fazenbaker.

Daniel Reckner was a veteran of the Revolutionary War. (His War records spelled the surname "Ricknor.") According to genealogist Wayne Bittinger, Daniel "enlisted in the Continental army at Allentown, Pennsylvania, in April 1778, for a term of three years. He was a private in Capt. William Oldham's Company of the 5th Pennsylvania Regiment and was present at the battles of Brandywine and Monmouth. He served in the army until the spring of 1781, and was discharged at Reading, Pennsylvania."

By 1787, Daniel Reckner had settled in western Maryland not far from the home of the Hessian soldier George Fazenbaker. Daniel owned as much as 334 acres of land. His home place was in the vicinity of Westernport Road north of the head of Aaron Run.

An article with photographs in The Republican, Oakland, MD, 11/6/1997 noted the dedication of a new grave marker for Daniel Reckner on his homestead farm; a more detailed article in The Glades Star, December 1997, covered the same event and summarized the following information from Wayne Bittinger's book about the Bittinger family and kin.

"An Allegany County courthouse record shows that on November 27, 1797, Daniel paid 25 pounds current money for all of the personal property belonging to a certain John Smith: 'one bay Horse one White cow on Red Heifer five hogs all my growing grain my Beds and Bedding and all my house hold furniture as well as all my farming utensils and Tobacco and all my Flax and Every other thing whatsoever of Sailable property now possessed by me on the plantation where I live....' (Tobacco, a crop mentioned here, was grown in western Maryland in this era.)

"Census records in 1800, 1810, and 1820 listed Daniel and his household in Allegany County. On April 16, 1804, he obtained a warrant to resurvey a tract of land called 'New Ireland,' on the eastern slope of Big Savage Mountain. This land is situated in present-day Garrett County, in the vicinity of the Westernport Road, north of the head of Aaron Run. The Daniel Reckner 'Homeplace'--as an 1835 record called it--eventually consisted of the following pieces of land: 'New Ireland' (54 acres); 'Recknors Purchase' (69 acres); and 'Now or Never' (61 1/4 acres). In addition, Daniel owned an adjacent tract of 56 3/4 acres called 'Meadow Ground.' [Thus, Daniel lived in the vicinity of the Warnick and Fazenbaker pioneers.] Daniel also owned 150 acres on the east side of Georges Creek, in the area of present-day Lonaconing, MD.

"Beginning on April 24, 1818, Daniel received a pension of $8 a month, based on his military service. On October 13, 1821, he made an affidavit concerning his pension; this document stated , in part, that 'he is by Occupation a farmer....has a wife....has a son lives with him twenty two years of age and three Grand children....' According to this affidavit, his income was from four cows, two calves, four yearling calves, and five sheep, as well as his real estate.

"Daniel died in 1829 and was buried in the vicinity of his property on Big Savage Mountain. His widow, Sarah, headed a household in Allegany County in 1830. She was living as late as January 9, 1833."

His sons George Reckner and John Reckner were named administrators of the estate. At least five accountings were needed to settle the estate.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Todd Pelkey 27 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
WaltWarnick 27 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Todd Pelkey 12 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Frank L Reckner Jr 14 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
bnorelg 13 Mar 2010 1:45PM GMT 
WaltWarnick98 26 Mar 2010 2:23AM GMT 
bnorelg 26 Mar 2010 12:05PM GMT 
JoAnn Langend... 2 Dec 2013 5:11AM GMT 
Robert Earl Reckner,III 7 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Frank L Reckner Jr 14 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions