Search for content in message boards

Matthew RYAN, Montgomery/Frederick Co. MD 1795-1800

Replies: 5

Re: Matthew RYAN, Montgomery/Frederick Co. MD 1795-1800

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 8:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Barbara -

I've been out of the country for six months, and I'm just getting around to catching up on stuff. Hope that you hadn't given up on me.

No, I'm not related Matthew Ryan. My interest in him is that (I believe) he performed the marriage ceremony for my ancestors. What got me curious is that the marriage was performed in Randolph County, WV in 1796. I noticed that it was the only marriage performed by Matthew Ryan in Randolph County. For all the other marriages in Randolph County, you could see the names of other pastors repeated over and over again. I became curious to find out who Matthew Ryan was.

My ancestors who were married by Matthew Ryan were John Wilson (1756-1827) and Mary Warthan (1780-c.1859). The Warthan family appears to be Roman Catholic.

I am interesting in finding of there is anything to verify that the Matthew Ryan of Emmitburg, MD is the same man who solemnized the marriage of my ancestors. Emmitsburg, MD is a very long way from Randolph County, WV. I'm amazed that he would travel so far. Do you know if he would have kept a journal of his travels or of sacraments that he performed? I can't seem to find anyone else named Matthew Ryan anywhere close to Randolph County, WV.

Thank you for your time and attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

- John J. Hood
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John_J_Hood 7 Jan 2008 2:23PM GMT 
bookumdano50 4 Feb 2008 8:44PM GMT 
John_J_Hood 5 Feb 2008 1:41AM GMT 
bandemckay 5 Jul 2012 1:32AM GMT 
John_J_Hood 30 Nov 2012 3:01AM GMT 
bandemckay 5 Jul 2012 1:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions