Search for content in message boards

APPLEBY, HEMPSTONE, HARRIS

Replies: 8

Re: APPLEBY, HEMPSTONE, HARRIS

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 1:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
Attached is a photo of Walter F. Appleby and Ann Harris Hempstone. I am basing their identities on information that was given to my grandmother, Joan Appleby daughter of William Clarence Appleby (Grandson of Walter F.) She received a copy of the picture in the 1960's while doing some family history from her aunt. I have the letter which lists a physical description of Ann Harris.

I also have a letter written to my grandmother Joan from her Aunt Fanny dated November 22, 1958. It describes Ann Hempstone. I am typing you an excerpt. Later, I will send you copy.

"My mother was Ann Harris Hempstone; she was several years older than my father. Her hair was a dark auburn, or I might say brown with a glint of auburn. Her eyes were gray, her complexion was _beautiful_. Her nose was somewhat tip-tilted (like mine.) In her day, very few girls had much more than a little country school education, but she attended a "Young ladies finishing school" in Georgetown, whci was run by an uncle of her's.

This private school was quite "select" and so of course she had a better education than most of the girls of her period.

The first time she saw my father, he was working in a field during harvest time, and she asked, "Who is that good-looking man wearing a white shirt." I do not know how they met.

My father was quite young when he enlisted in the Union Army, but being large for his age - no questions were asked. His next oldest brother, Wesley enlisted in the confederated army and was captured in battle and was a prisoner at "Camp Parole" just outside Annapolis. When my father heard about it, he (in his Union uniform) went there to see if he could do something for him. My father was closely questioned as to why he was interested in a "rebel," and when he replied, "He is my brother," they accepted his explanation and said, "We will release him in your custody, if he will pledge allegiance to the Union. Uncle Wesley, being my father's older brother but still very young, agreed to enlist in the Union Army, and when the USA pensioned the old soldiers, Uncle Wesley found it came in handy in his old age."

More details from military records located on Ancestry.com
Walter F. Appleby enlisted in the Union Army (11th Regiment, Md Inf. (100 days, 1864) as a Company E private, His next oldest brother Wesley, enlisted in the Confederate army. Apparently, Wesley was captured in battle and was a prisoner at "Camp Parole" located just outside of Annapolis. Walter convinced Wesley, to fight for the Union army and they later fought together and there are even govt issued veteran benefit records for Wesley.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael Appleby 14 May 1998 12:00PM GMT 
delsasser22 21 Feb 2004 1:22AM GMT 
travers1407 12 Apr 2007 2:22PM GMT 
Family_Hunter 14 Apr 2007 12:13AM GMT 
travers1407 14 Apr 2007 1:56AM GMT 
Family_Hunter 15 Apr 2007 3:45AM GMT 
martiweysham1 15 Dec 2012 4:09AM GMT 
The_Family_De... 16 Dec 2012 3:15PM GMT 
martiweysham1 16 Dec 2012 8:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions