Search for content in message boards

Sabrah Hopkins

Replies: 7

Re: Sabrah Hopkins

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 6:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hickman; Nott;Katsch, Baker, McDaniel, Wells, Bottom and Clements
My husband, Clifford Francis Hickman, also descends from Sabrah and Arthur Hickman. I have Levin Hopkins as her father which I have suspected not correct. I have also seen a Dennis Hopkins was her father as well as a George Hopkins. I have no leads at all on her mother at all.

I am much more satisfied with my Hickman Line information. I have the following on Arthur which mentions both of Arthur's wives. I would like to be advised what child of Sabrah's you descend from. My husband descends from Sotha. My e-mail address is addiehickman@embarqmail.com

I would like to offer the following for any value it might be to you: May God Bless you and yours, Addie here

My source: Harrison Co. - 1784 Heritage 1995 - Historical Society - Genealogical Society pages from book received 3-2-1999 from Charlotte Fleming - page 208 Submitted by Sue H. Burke
ARTHUR HICKMAN FAMILY
"Born in 1711 in Somerset Co. MD to William and Elizabeth -- Hickman, Arthur Hickman, father of our ancestor Sotha Hickman, married a widow of William Douglass (1710-Jan 1779) about 1780 in Montgomery Co. MD. Mary was born in 1713 in Montgomery Co. MD and had two sons, Samuel and Levi Douglass by her first marriage.

When Sotha was nine years old, the Hickman family moved to Frederick Co. MD where Arthur purchased "Bersheba" land inherited by his son, William after Arthur's death, sometime before 13 April 1779. His will dated Nov 1779 and Mary's will (19 February 1785 Montgomery Co. MD) give us important data. Arthur left children: William who married first Jane Fletchall, married second Ann (Nancy) Lucas 19 July 1781, died 1808; Roger born 1730 married ca 1748 Margaret Davis, died June 1827 (will) in Bath Co. VA; Sotha born 10 June 1746 Montgomery Co. MD, married Elizabeth Davis ca 1770, died 2 April 1834 Harrison Co. (W)V; Annabell "Tabby" married before 1779, Mr. Jewell; Catherine ca 1754, married Neal McGinnis in 1770; and Elizabeth born 1756, married James Ellis.

Arthur Hickman was in the Maryland militia and listed as a sergeant in 1748 records. He may have married first, Sabra Hopkins. Since his six children were grown and most were married at his marriage to Mary Douglass, she certainly was not their mother. Sabra Hopkins Hickman may have been descended from Dennis Hopkins, emigrant, who settled on the Eastern Shore of MD. Also of interest is the Quaker, Gerald Hopkins of Anne Arundel Co. who died in 1691.

From a deposition of Arthur Hickman in Frederick Co. MD, recorded 19 August 1767, we learn the parentage of Arthur: "In the year seventeen hundred and fifty-nine he was on the Eastern Shore at the house of (his) father William Hickman and heard his father William Hickman give a Negro girl called Pegg to daughter of Henry Hickman his son named Comfort Hickman and delivered her to his son Henry Hickman to bring over the bay to his daughter Comfort Hickman ...and further sayeth not."

William Hickman was born ca 1683 in Somerset Co. MD and came to present Frederick Co MD in 1733 with his wife, Elizabeth. Their children: William ca 1705-1766; Jonathan ca 1707; Richard ca 1709; Arthur 1711-1779; Catherine; Elizabeth who married John Fletchall; Joshua who married Sarah and died 1757; Henry who married Rebecca and died 1764; and Stephen who died before 1779.

William and Jane Jones Hickman of England are thought to have been the parents of William Hickman, born ca 1683. Submitted by Sue H. Burke

Sources
Liber K folio 1421, Frederick Co MD
Liber F folio 477, Frederick Co MD
Will of William Hickman, Somerset Co MD
Liber EB #4Y13

Addie's note concerning the above article. I, for a time, considered Jane Jones the wife and mother of William's children; however, in view of the following: Ten children survived William Hickman 1st, Richard being the eldest, and none of them appears to have reached twenty one years of age. The will of Henry Jones Accomack County dated February 8, 1664, and probated February 16, 1664, names children of "My deceased sister Jane Hickman" to be Rachel Hickman, Joan Hickman and Jane Hickman. While doing research in Virginia 1999 in May I came to the conclusion that Jane Jones is not our William Hickman's wife for the following reasons. She died before 1644. Her three girls were mentioned in Henry Jones' Will as belonging to Jane Hickman. The unnamed girls in William's will were not 18 years old in 1683 so the girls mentioned in Jone's will in 1644 could not be those mentioned in William's will.

As for Arthur's parentage I am not opposed to his mother's name being Elizabeth as I have seen the name of Elizabeth coupled with Arthur's name on land transfers etc. In fact, I believe that his mother's name was Elizabeth. However, I also see Mary Hopkins name linked with Arthur. Perhaps he was married a second time or Elizabeth was a part of Mary Hopkin's name? (Mary Elizabeth or Elizabeth Mary - or perhaps Mary was a nickname as Mary seemed to be that in many situations in early days.)

There are some discrepancies in dates which are mainly addressed in the facts of each individual.

The article indicates, daughter Elizabeth married John Fletchall. This is incorrect. She married a Lewis proved to my satisfaction in the will of Wm. 2nd and also in the inventory of her brother, Arthur Hickman. Elizabeth's brother William 3rd's daughter, Betty married John Fletchall. Another thing that is troublesome is that William 3rd also has a daughter named Elizabeth who married Adam Burns. Both married 1766. I think there is a mix-up in what I have recorded and perhaps they are one and the same. The same marriage source is recorded but different husbands! There needs to be more research on this Betty/Elizabeth.
@@@@

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
christine but... 19 Sep 2008 5:43PM GMT 
CaseyPMorelan... 31 May 2009 4:47AM GMT 
christine but... 31 May 2009 1:45PM GMT 
addiehickmsn 14 Jan 2010 1:21AM GMT 
ksb9308 1 Dec 2011 11:57AM GMT 
george_simpki... 3 Dec 2011 9:19AM GMT 
laien 5 Dec 2011 4:19AM GMT 
rmgonnella 13 Oct 2012 5:09AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions