Search for content in message boards

Camp Windigo

Replies: 37

Re: Camp Windigo

Posted: 28 Jul 2009 5:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
It breaks my heart, and it must break yours, too! Miss Logan and Miss Ryder took such good care of that place--it sparkled. We used to eat, all 35 of us plus counselors, in the dining room -- four tables. I suppose the ground floor was all dining room and an institutional type kitchen by the time I was there in the 1960's but I was a kid and a camper and did not look much beyond my nose! I can tell you that the out buildings were also well taken care of. Jack (if you give me a week or so, I will probably remember his surname) was a local carpenter who took care of everything.
Do you know who bought the farm from the professors? I remember it being for sale....my parents were a bit tempted but I remember my father saying he didn't want to buy land with buildings that he would have to maintain. Was it sold to the Latter Day Saints for a camp immediately, or did it go to someone else in between? I wondered if it went back to being a farm, since it looked like that when I was there in the late seventies.
Did your grandparents name it Windigo? I recognize the name Decelle and so I suppose that the camp directors told us that it was the Decelle farm. Was it your family's farm before them? Did the your ancestors build the farmhouse? I confess that every few years I would have dreams, or really nightmares that I went up there and there were condos. Such a beautiful spot. The last time I was there, probably in the late 70's or very early 80's, was during the fall foliage and it was breathtaking. As a child, I did not appreciate the physical beauty of the place, although I surely loved it. srz
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ReiligCailin 17 Sep 2005 12:42PM GMT 
wendron9 17 Sep 2005 8:34PM GMT 
Deb 20 Sep 2005 11:32AM GMT 
Tracy 8 Oct 2005 1:58AM GMT 
Beth Dunstan 10 Oct 2005 2:00AM GMT 
Joyce Woffend... 5 Sep 2013 1:04PM GMT 
sallyzanger 27 Jul 2009 5:27AM GMT 
McDonald_Joan 27 Jul 2009 2:21PM GMT 
sallyzanger 28 Jul 2009 11:53AM GMT 
abbyzanger 28 Jul 2009 12:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions