Search for content in message boards

Camp Windigo

Replies: 37

Re: Camp Windigo

Posted: 26 Jul 2009 11:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
You know, I have been googling Camp Windigo for several years, and this is the first time your inquiry has appeared. I attended Camp Windigo in Windsor from 1962-1966. It was 25 years old in 1962 and closed maybe ten years after I left? some time later.... It was a WONDERFUL camp. It was owned and run by two Phys. Ed. teachers from Smith College. It was coed ages 6-12 (13 if you were an old camper). There were 30-36 children in the camp and it was a farm camp. We took care of and raised baby ducks, chicks, pigs, goats, sheep a calf, puppies and kittens. Also laying hens. The camp owned a burro and a couple of horses and used Smith College horses, for a total of six horses. We had riding and swimming and hiking, campcraft, shop, arts and crafts, nature....and of course, caring for the animals. The camp was (now here I may be remembering wrong....) 72 acres and included a blueberry meadow. There was a farmhouse, which I guess is gone now, which had huge trees and a swing in front and several barns: two were the bunk houses, one--right across from the house-- had a theatre in the loft and nature stuff downstairs (many years later I visited and it appeared that the new owners had turned it back into a barn--it housed animals again)--there was also a stable and a pasture and smaller outbuildings for the hens, kitchen staff, etc. Oh, and the pasture was an old apple orchard. So it had been a farm, became a summer camp, then a farm again, and I guess became derelict and was deeded to the state. I am sorry it is gone as a camp, but very happy that it is part of the state forest, and not a condo complex! (It had two ponds that were dug for swimming holes and a stream at the bottom, bordering on the forest. THere was an old cemetery next door, too.) What is your interest? Did anyone else respond? I have been looking for other alumni.

Sally R Zanger
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ReiligCailin 17 Sep 2005 12:42PM GMT 
wendron9 17 Sep 2005 8:34PM GMT 
Deb 20 Sep 2005 11:32AM GMT 
Tracy 8 Oct 2005 1:58AM GMT 
Beth Dunstan 10 Oct 2005 2:00AM GMT 
Joyce Woffend... 5 Sep 2013 1:04PM GMT 
sallyzanger 27 Jul 2009 5:27AM GMT 
McDonald_Joan 27 Jul 2009 2:21PM GMT 
sallyzanger 28 Jul 2009 11:53AM GMT 
abbyzanger 28 Jul 2009 12:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions