Search for content in message boards

Missing Berkshire/Lenox town records

Replies: 0

Missing Berkshire/Lenox town records

Posted: 21 Sep 2013 11:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Polley, Polly
Does anyone know if there are town records for Lenox not included in the ancestry.com database for the time period of 1770's and 1780's?

I found birth records for three children of Prosper Polly/Polley and his wife Sarah; Ruth, Ebenezer and Salla. I can't find any record for their son Daniel or presumed son Hiram. Hiram was born about 1781-1782.
There could be more children's records missing as the 1790 census shows more female children than are accounted for in the town records and the two children mentioned above.

Prosper Polley was a deputy sheriff for Berkshire Co at the time of the Revolution. (Would Prosper be boarding orphaned girls in his capacity as sheriff?) After the war he entered in a partnership with Enos Stone, Caleb Hyde and others to buy land in what is now Rochester. His son Daniel lived in Clarendon NY with his widowed mother Sarah and his wife Abigail Bennett and they are all buried there in the Polley/Locust Grove Cemetery.

Prosper is living in Onondaga, Onondaga NY in the 1800 census. He can't be found in the 1810 census, but may be living with his son Daniel in Salina, Onondaga, NY then.

Any help in finding a birth record for Hiram Polly/Polley would be most appreciated. This Hiram was in Stockbridge in 1810, Augusta,Oneida NY in 1820, Victory, Cayuga NY in 1830 and Harmony, Chautauqua NY in 1840. He died there in 1844. He is my 4ggrandfather, but I have never been able to definitively tie him to Prosper or anyone else.

Thanks,

Barbara

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions