Search for content in message boards

Merrihew Family

Replies: 3

Re: Merrihew Family

Posted: 5 May 2013 10:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 May 2013 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Merrihew, Smith, Andrews, Spooner, Reynolds, Pierce, Bosworth, Chadwick, Gammons, Avery
I just happened to see your message board post on Ancestry.com concerning the Merrihew Family of Fairhaven, MA. I know your post was almost 3 years ago, but hopefully you are still interested.

My 4th great grandmother was Ruby Taber Merrihew, the sister of Alice Merrihew, who was married to Daniel smith. They were two of the nine children of Peter Merrihew and Sarah "Sally" Andrews. Peter and Sally lived and died in what is now the town of Acushnet, the the area that was known as Long Plain. In those days Acushnet was part of the town of Fairhaven and was known as North Fairhaven or Long Plain. In 1860, Acushnet broke away and formed their own town. Sally (Andrews) Merrihew was the daughter of Edmund and Elsie/Alice Andrews and was born in Lakeville, Mass., which at that time was part of Middleboro.

Sometime in the late 1700's Peter's father Amos Merrihew and wife Elizabeth (Spooner) Merrihew removed with the entire family, except for Peter, to what was then known as Nine Partners, Dutchess County, New York. Peter decided to stay in Mass.

Peter, Sally, their son Peter, Jr., and daughter Ruth were buried together in the Long Plain Cemetery, in Acushnet in the older section. Peter, Jr. and Ruth never married. Another daughter Sarah Merrihew, wife of James Hammett, was buried across the road in the newer section of Long Plain Cemetery.

Another of Peter and Sally's daughters, Elizabeth S. Merrihew, wife of Edmund Reynolds was buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in New Bedford. And another daughter, Celeste Merrihew, wife of David Pierce was buried in the Rural Cemetery in New Bedford. A son Edmund Merrihew was buried at Cushing Cemetery in Mattapoisett, near his son Edmund, Jr. and other family members.

Another of Peter and Sally's sons, Amos, died in Fairhaven in 1861, but I have yet to find burial information for him.

My 4th great-grandmother Ruby married Darius Bosworth and lived in Acushnet until the death of Darius in 1872, and then went to live with her son William Bosworth in New Bedford, where she died in 1893. Ruby and Darius and several of their descendants were buried in the Oak Grove Cemetery, New Bedford. William Bosworth and wife Almira Chadwick were my 3rd great grandparents.

Alice Merrihew married Daniel Smith on April 23, 1833. They lived mainly in Edgartown on Martha's Vineyard. In their later years they moved to Abington and then Rockland, where they passed away.

Daniel and Alice Smith's son Daniel V. Smith was buried at the Ellis Cemetery in Mattapoisett. He and his brother William H. Smith married two sisters. Daniel was married to Martha Gammons and William to Lucy Gammons. They were the daughters of Martin B. Gammons and Bethany Avery.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
HMerrihew 10 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
ladicraft_1 10 Jul 2010 9:59PM GMT 
jbosworth333 5 May 2013 4:27PM GMT 
barblovesrose... 6 Jul 2014 12:35AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic