Look-up Request 1951 Fall River Directory - LALIBERTE or LIBERTY

Replies: 9

Re: Look-up Request 1951 Fall River Directory - LALIBERTE or LIBERTY

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 9:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Apr 2013 9:36AM GMT
Surnames: LIBERTY, LALIBERTE
Thanks for replying.

Yes, the street portion does list him as being there but then a lease for 1950 when the information was collected would have been under his name even if he died partway through the year.

I've encountered this in the past where the head of household is listed in the street section but in the names listing the person is entered as "died" with a death date.

And sometimes, with deaths that occurred late in the year, the person is still listed in the names section even though they're dead causing the "died" listing to be delayed to the following year.

This scenario, however, doesn't appear to be the case at least, with regard to Patrick having possibly died late in 1950 - too late to be listed as "died" in the 1951 directory delaying the "died" entry so that it didn't appear until the 1952 directory.

No delayed death entry is entered in the 1952 directory just the fact that Frances is Patrick's widow.

I still think Patrick died in 1950 before the information for the names section was collected but after the by street info was done.

I'm not certain how the information was collected for Fall River directories but from other entries in other cities, it appears that the information for the by name sections may have been collected in person by a team of canvassers going house to house.

In one instance in my research, I'm certain that for that city, the information for the section listing adult residents by name was collected in person.

In that instance, the 1880 city directory says the man died in May 1879 before but there is no death record anywhere, period. I've checked all possible sources - state archives, city archives, cemeteries & the parish this man lived in for a burial record. I started the search with the year his wife would have gotten pregnant with their last child up to 1880 when he's listed in the city directory as "died May 1879"; he's also not on the 1880 census. There's simply no record of his death anywhere.

So, in that instance the only way the publishers of the directory could have obtained the information that the man had died in May 1879 would have been from the wife. For the record, I'm now almost certain the man abandoned the family & went back to Ireland. He either permanently abandoned them or temporarily abandoned them with the intent of sending money back to them so they could eventually pay for passage back home, too. Which ever had happened, he was gone by 1880 and the wife/widow & children lived out their lives here in the US.

I've also encountered directories where, just as you found, the head of household was listed at the addy in the street section but in the section listing every adult individual, the person was listed as having died and a death date was given.

The biggest drawback to the directories by street is that in areas where the citizens were primarily renters, they didn't always stay put from year to year and the streets sections don't give death info so I'm not a big fan of directories that are only by street.

Given that Patrick LIBERTY aka LALIBERTE is in the 1950 directory in the section listing all the adult residents by name and given I don't know if he's in the by name section for 1951 and given that by 1952 Patrick's not there & there's no delayed death listed just the lisiting that his wife Frances M. was his widow, then I can only surmise that Patrick either died late in 1950 after the directory info for the street section of 1951 was collected but I can't say one way or the other as to whether he died late in 1950 or very early in 1951 before the 1951 directory info was vcollected because all I have to go on is the street listing and not the all important listings by name.

So, I still need someone in the Fall River area with access to the 1951 directory or someone with access to the 1951 directory on line via another source besides Ancestry to see if he's there in the listing of adult residents or if a death date is given.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mindfoggs2 14 Apr 2013 1:50AM GMT 
carol santos 14 Apr 2013 4:04AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 14 Apr 2013 3:18PM GMT 
noyesk 14 Apr 2013 1:43PM GMT 
mindfoggs2 14 Apr 2013 2:25PM GMT 
mlinhares6081 15 Apr 2013 3:46PM GMT 
georgest57 16 Apr 2013 1:15AM GMT 
mlinhares6081 17 Apr 2013 3:42AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 18 Apr 2013 10:20AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 18 Apr 2013 10:24AM GMT 
per page