William Holmes/Homes, Chilmark

Replies: 8

Rev and William Holmes.

Ed Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holmes or Homes
Linde and June,

Though not related, I am interested in the Holmes family/ies because several of Rev. Holmes' children married into clans of mine. I did not respond earlier as I needed to tie together more of my Holmes and Homes entries.

Linde,

I presume you are speaking of The Rev. William Homes/Holmes who left behind an awesome journal regarding his parishioners. Correct? If so, I have some information beyond Banks' which I'd be glad to send you directly. That and some pet theories of my own regarding "Robert" of Donachmore, Ireland, his supposed father. There is one particularilly poignant entry in his diary where he describes the death of his grandson which all by itself makes the Reverand worthy of study

June,

Your William interests me too. I have a William Holmes m. Elizabeth (?) who may fit the bill and if so, I'd like to add your information. This couple is mentioned in Mayflower Increasings, but I have been unable to add anything beyond Roser's comments (Increasings 80). Their son Josiah married Hannah Samson 20 Mar 1665/6 at Duxbury. Might this be the William you speak of?

I also have four other William Holmes who have no further information beyond their names.

The Holmes/Homes families generally descend from a Hume/s (pronounced Home/s) who was the chief architect of William the Conqueror's successful invasion of England culminating in the Battle of Hastings and the Magna Carta. He must have been quite a talker as there is a record of someone else saying "he talked all the way [from Scotland] to London." I have a good deal of information on this family as an American descendant married my father's sister and I inherited property through her.

The progenitor was made the Lord High Chancellor of Scotland under William and the family has been actively involved in politics since that time, there was a Prime Minister by that name in the 1950s/1960s, and the philosopher, David Hume, is also from this family. One of his descendants originated the idea of organizing the underground railroad for escaped slaves during our Civil War and wrote a book--The Abolutionists about the struggle. I have an ancient cardboard-backed picture of Hume Castle at Berwickshire, Scotland.

Contact me directly if you're interested in this information and please let me know if you are referring to the William who married Katherine Craighead.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Linde Lunney 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
June Malonson 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Linde Lunney 5 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Ed Cooper 5 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
charles 3 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Ed Cooper 4 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
charlesbrack 24 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
charlesbrack 19 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Steve Craig 22 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions