Search for content in message boards

Lawrence Birth, 1892, Found Registered in the City of Providence, RI / BARNES & TAYLOR

Replies: 2

Re: Lawrence Birth, 1892, Found Registered in the City of Providence, RI / BARNES & TAYLOR

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
This page of birth registrations was all births elsewhere but registered in Providence.

There were many opportunities during this era for work with the textile mills, clothing manfacture, machine shops, jewelry & other industries so some people seemed to move around a bit.

I theorize, based on my family's experience, the reason for the delayed registration taking place in Providence rather than where the birth actually occurred was that the family was in the process of relocating to Providence when a birth occurred & waited until settling in their new hometown to register the birth.

With my family the birth occurred in France during the family's journey to the US & they waited until they got to their new home of Providence before registering the birth. The birth was in Dec 1892 but the registration wasn't done in Providence until the end of April 1893.

Your family may have been in Providence briefly between censuses & so registered the birth in Providence but then left for a work opportunity in Lawrence.

I've found though, with the censuses, birth place isn't always accurate. The answer all depends on who was supplying the info to the enumerator & sometimes in multi-family structures, that person wasn't always a member of the familky but a neighbor or boarder in the family household. I've one 2x great grandmother b. NY, MD or VA depending on the census one looks at. NY is the correct answer.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mindfoggs2 17 Feb 2013 6:37PM GMT 
fitz19591 18 Feb 2013 4:36PM GMT 
mindfoggs2 19 Feb 2013 2:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions