Search for content in message boards

Ring Sanitarium Arlington, MA

Replies: 17

Re: Ring Sanitarium Arlington, MA

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 6:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ring, Curley, Barry
Hello,

I had time to look at census pages this morning, and there were many people with the RING name in the late 1800's. But the 1880 census did not have one in Arlington. I did find the family in the 1900 census in Arlington:

RING, ALLAN M (1900 U.S. Census)
MASSACHUSETTS , MIDDLESEX, ARLINGTON
Series: T623 Roll: 655 Page: 37

He was a Physician, as was his son, Arthur H. RING. Most of the family was born in Canada, so perhaps the family migrated during the 1890's. They also had a son, Harold S. RING, who had been married to Barbara RING for one year, with no children. She was also a Physician, and Harold was a clerk in a bank. They also had a daughter, Edith RING. Allan's wife was Willemina (sp?), and they had been married for 33 yrs. and had 3 children. So that puts their marriage in the 1860's. Oh, just noticed the family migrated in 1881.

They had 3, female Boarders in the home with them, most over 50 yrs. old. They were on Hillside Ave.

Looks like their home became a Sanitarium between 1900 and 1910 because the 1910 census has the couple living there with many people living with them.

RING, ALLAN M (1910 U.S. Census)
MASSACHUSETTS , MIDDLESEX, ARLINGTON
Series: T624 Roll: 594 Page: 46

They seem to have had his sister-in-law, Fanny CURLEY (sp?) with them. This census page is hard to read but it looks like there was another Physician living there, possibly a female.

.. By the way, there is currently a GERMAINE Girls' School on Hillside Ave. in Arlington. It has several buildings and pretty much covers an entire block on that hill - just off of Park Avenue.

http://www.germainelawrence.org/

Oh, this .history. said the home of Miss or Mrs. BARRY was the original location of that school, going back to 1909.

http://www.germainelawrence.org/about/history.html

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

FYI:

There are many large homes on and off of Park Avenue in Arlington. A tall hill which runs from Mass. Ave. up to the current highway Rt. 2. I had a long-time friend from high-school yrs. who grew up on Hillside Ave. And, because we were all in the Locke School (grammar), I knew many kids on that large hill.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
janepinel 21 Feb 2013 5:08PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 22 Feb 2013 11:02AM GMT 
stephen dwyer 22 Mar 2014 7:16AM GMT 
Marc Lamphier 13 Nov 2013 1:45PM GMT 
dickavery12 13 Jan 2013 6:21PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 15 Jan 2013 1:22PM GMT 
John Ring 9 Apr 2014 8:55PM GMT 
John Ring 9 Apr 2014 8:50PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic