Search for content in message boards

Updated Nantucket VRs at MA Vital Records Project

Replies: 2

Updated Nantucket VRs at MA Vital Records Project

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 10:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Mar 2013 7:16AM GMT
I have just changed the Nantucket vital records to allow researching alphabetically and chronologically.

The alphabetic listings will be pretty much as presented in the published records. A big difference is that alternate spellings of the names and the nicknames will all be together and chronlogical within those. Abigail, Abby, Nabby, etc. will be together. Elizabeth, Libby, Betty, etc. Jerald will be with Gerald.

The chronologic listings are just that. An event that has no date will appear at the beginning of the entries for that surname. This should be especially helpful for the births.

I still need about 1300 pages transcribed. These are the births and marriages from G to the end. Obviously, with no transcriptions, alphabetic/chronologic sorts don't mean anything. There are still links to the images of the pages. If just 10 people will help by doing 130 pages each, Nantucket can be completed in fairly short order. I'll be very honest with you. Nantucket is absolutely the hardest to transcribe. Anyone willing to help must be a very dedicated Nantucket researcher or a masochist.

The Nantucket records are, for the most part, very unique in that the majority of records have far more information than any other town. This may make it possible for me to do something with Nantucket that I can't with other towns. Because so many records have the parents, I may be able to create a separate sort order that breaks down by parents. As I work on new routines for pulling alternate surname spellings together, this could be one of the greatest research tools available. It would essentially create a mini Family Group sheet. BUT, in order to do this, I must have the records fully transcribed. I can't index anything until it is transcribed. I won't even begin work on using the parents' names as sort keys until it is done.

Thank you.

John Slaughter, Owner/Administrator, MA Vital Records Project - http://MA-VitalRecords.org
In loving memory of our son, Brennan, 11/10/88-5/31/01 - http://John-Slaughter.rootsweb.com/Brennan.html
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MAVitalRecord... 28 Feb 2013 5:15PM GMT 
Dave McTigue 4 Mar 2013 2:07PM GMT 
MAVitalRecord... 21 Mar 2013 3:14PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic