Search for content in message boards

Charles W. RICE in Milton, 1910, d1916

Replies: 14

Charles W. RICE in Milton, 1910, d1916

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 2:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rice, Hutchinson, Wainwright
Hello,

I have a great-great-grandfather, Charles Wellington RICE, who was born in Lubec, ME, in 1850. He was the youngest of 10 children born to Daniel and Lucy (McDANIEL) RICE. Around 1872, he came down to MA and somehow met Adelaide Crosby HUTCHINSON of the HUTCHINSON Farm in Winchester, MA. Perhaps he found work on the farm. They married near Boston in 1875 and then had 2 daughters: Louise W. RICE was born 1876 and Edith Crosby RICE was born 1878.

By the 1880 census, the 2 young girls were living with their maternal grandparents on the Farm. Adelaide was spending some time in a hospital, and Charles was - nowhere to be found. I searched for several years and I just couldn't find out what happened to Charles after 1879. I think it was another researcher who found him living in Milton in the 1910 census. He was listed as a live-in gardener in a mansion. That is the only census I've ever found him in.

Our family had already found out that Charles had died in Ashland, MA, in 1916, but none of us could figure out why. I finally wrote to the Ashland Historical Society and a very helpful man sought out the death-notice for me. It turns out that Charles had found out he had cancer and went to live in his nephew's home in Ashland. The nephew was part of a McNEAR family of Medford, MA.

(It turns out that Charles' sister, Amelia, had also come down to MA - possibly with Charles, but she was married to a McNEAR when she moved. The siblings remained close and Charles ended up being buried with his sister's family in Medford.)

I know that Mrs. Adelaide RICE never remarried. She and her daughters remained living on the Farm until her parents died during 1890's and the Farm was being put up for sale. They moved to the next town, Arlington. As far as I know, Charles RICE, never remarried, either.

It is probably an impossible task, but it would help my curiousity if I could find out where Charles lived from 1879 to 1909. That's 30 yrs. of not knowing about him.

I know from census information that there were RICE families or couples in Arlington, MA. But, I have no way of knowing whether one of them was Charles, or could have been a relative.

I posted a query on the MANorfolk List 2 years ago, and I'll post part of what I said here - just as an FYI for you. See below.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

P.S. Louise RICE (1876-1958) was my great-grandmother; she married George "Sanford" KIDDER of Calais, ME. They had a daughter, Clarissa Adelaide KIDDER who became my grandmother and then 2 sons. I lived in the farmhouse in Winchester with "Grandma Kidder" when I was young, so I knew her until she died.

Edith C. RICE (1878-1943) never married. She was a Children's Librarian in Arlington for most of her adult life and was well-liked. A collection of important children's books was donated to the Univ. of Maine, and they were donated in honor of her. I would have loved to meet her, but she died just before I was born.

FYI:

Hello,

I can't remember whether I belong to this List, or not. So, I thought I
would post a query and see what happens. I did check the archives of this
List and see it is not an active List.

I found out a few days ago that my gr-gr-grandfather, Charles Wellington
RICE, was a "landscape gardener" in his later years. And, it seems he was
living at and working at the "Arthur WAINWRIGHT home" in Milton in 1910.
There were at least 5 other servants in the home, and the census showed no
family with him.

I'm curious how long Arthur WAINWRIGHT owned that home, and, more
importantly, how long Charles RICE lived in that home.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

P.S. A little investigating showed that Arthur was probably one of 4 sons
of the owner of the "H. C. WAINWRIGHT Co." in Boston - who were all Stock
Brokers.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bbffrrpp 14 Jan 2010 9:33AM GMT 
bbffrrpp 29 Jan 2012 11:11AM GMT 
mmbutts1 29 Jan 2012 2:06PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 29 Jan 2012 2:38PM GMT 
mmbutts1 29 Jan 2012 2:51PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 29 Jan 2012 3:22PM GMT 
mmbutts1 29 Jan 2012 3:27PM GMT 
PAULLINBABY 8 Oct 2012 12:37AM GMT 
mmbutts1 8 Oct 2012 12:59PM GMT 
mmbutts1 29 Jan 2012 3:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions