Search for content in message boards

Joseph PERRY

Replies: 7

Re: Joseph PERRY

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 5:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PERRY
For those interested, here is a summation of my original research on Joseph Perry. I have since added to it, but here are the basics, which still stand and for which I have accumulated even more evidence.

Cyrus Eaton, History of Thomaston, Rockland and South Thomaston, 1865, vol. II, p. 352:
"PERRY, Job, born at Marshfield, Mass., mar. 3d, Abigail Ford; r. Georgetown, Boothbay, and S. Th., where he d. ab. 1789. His ch. by 1st wife. 1, Simeon, d. young. 2, Polly, m. ---- Pinkham; r. Boothbay, and d. at an advanced age leaving many descendants. By 3d wife. 3, David, died in the army of the Revolution. 4. Hannah, m. a Harrington; r. and d. Boothbay, or vicinity. 5, Lieut. Joseph, b. 1761, in Marshfield; m. Jemima, dau. of Dr. Brown of Fox Is., pl Nov. 10, 1785 2d, Lucy Holland; r. S. Th., and d. Jan. 18, 1853. 6, Eli, r. and d. Phipsburg. 7. Job, (2d), b. in Georgetown, April 21, 1762; m. Polly Jordan, p. Aug. 3, '92; r. S. Th. and d. Dec. 19, '41. 8, Abigail, m. Robert Thorndike; r. and d S. Th. 9, William, born in Boothbay, 1771; m. Polly Randall, p. Sept. 5, 1794, 2d, Mrs. Jane McLoon, Nov. 25, 1834; r. S. Th. and d. Jan. 29, 1853. 10, Mercy, m. a Ford, r. and d. Ohio."

I BELIEVE CYRUS EATON ERRED IN CALLING THE PATRIARCH OF THIS FAMILY JOB. HIS NAME WAS JOSEPH PERRY. My evidence is stated below.

1. Plymouth County Deeds 80:136. A photocopy is attached. Here is the pertinent paragraph:

"This Indenture of Division and Partition made & concluded upon the twelfth day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred & eighty seven, Between Abner Foord of Balltown in the county of Lincoln, Joseph Perrey & Abigail his Wife of OwlsHead in the county aforesaid,
Nathan Foord of Milton in the County of Suffolk Elijah Foord & Livi Foord both of Marshfield in the County of Plymouth and Anthony Sherman & Silence Sherman his Wife of Bridgwater in the County of Plymouth aforesaid all of Within the Commonwealth of Massachussetts, Yeomans, and spinsters witnesseth that whereas we the said Abner Foord, Nathan Foord, Elijah Foord, Levi Foord Silence Sherman and Abigail Perrey in Common and undivided: Stand [can't read word] in fee of two peices of Salt Meadow Land that fall to us the only Legal heirs to our Honoured Parents Mr. William Foord & [next page] Hannah Foord his wife Late of Marshfield..."

Source: Plymouth County Registry of Deeds
PO Box 3535
Plymouth MA 02361

2. Eaton says that this family resided in Boothbay prior to coming to Thomaston. Barbara Rumsey, Director of the Boothbay Region Historical Society, P.O. Box 272, Boothbay Harbor, Maine 04538-0272, made an extensive search of Boothbay records for me and found no evidence of a Job Perry. She did find evidence that a Joseph Perry had lived in the area. See #3 below.

3. In a letter dated Dec. 5, 1999, Barbara Rumsey writes that Joseph Perry was in the Boothbay area by 1761 and cites as evidence a law suit in the Lincoln County Court of Common Pleas. She said that local records show that Abner Ford of Marshfield (brother Abigail Ford Perry) was also in Boothbay by 1761.

4. Ms. Rumsey also writes that in 1765 the Boothbay town treasurer paid Samuel Barter to care for Rachel Perry's bastard child. There is no indication that this Rachel belongs to the same Perry family, but the Scituate VRs do show the birth of a daughter Rachel, May 28, 1751, to Joseph Perry and his (first) wife.

5. Ms. Rumsey refers to a source she calls Rev. Murray's Book of Records (originals at the ME Historical Society) for the baptism of Abigail Perry, daughter of Joseph, 27 September 1767. Eaton's history assigns Joseph Perry and third wife Abigail Ford a daughter Abigail, but gives no birthdate.

6. Eaton says that "Job" Perry married as his third wife Abigail Ford. The Marshfield VRs give the publishing of the intentions of Joseph Perry and Abigail Ford 7 March 1757. Further, they give the following events, all of which corroborate Eaton but with the name Joseph Perry:

30 June 1755 Joseph Perry and Abigail Tilden, intentions published.
14 Aug 1755 Joseph Perey married Abigail Tilden.
7 May, 1756 Abigail Perey, daughter of Joseph and Abigail, born.
31 July, 1756 Abigail Perey, wife of Joseph, died.
19 October 1756 Abigail Perey, daughter of Joseph and Abigail, died.
26 January 1758 David Perey, son of Joseph and Abigial born.
9 March 1759 Hannah Perey, daugher of Joseph and Abigail born.

The Scituate VRs yield:

June 17, 1742 Joseph Perry married Rachel Jones.
April 14, 1745 Simeon Perry, son of Joseph Perry, born.
November 16, 1746 Lucendy Perry, daughter of Joseph Perry, born.
March 31, 1749 Mary Perry, daughter of Joseph Perry, born.
May 28, 1751 Rachel Perry, daughter of Joseph Perry, born.
May 28, 1751 Rachel Perry died.

Read chronologically, one sees three marriages for Joseph Perry, the third to Abigail Ford.

7. Eaton gives "Job" Perry a daughter Polly by his first wife. He says this Polly married a Pinkham and resided in Boothbay. Alfred Weston Bennett's Boothbay, Maine Marriage Intentions 1766-1904, gives the marriage of Mary Perry to Solomon Pinkham in Boothbay, February 13, 1767.

As shown above, the Scituate records give the birth of a Mary to Joseph Perry and a wife who preceded wives Abigail Tilden and Abigail Ford. (Polly was a common nickname for Mary.)

8. Eaton gives "Job" and Abigail Perry a son William, b. 1771 in Boothbay. He no doubt took this year and location from the "Rockland [ME] Courier-Gazette" obituary of William Perry, in the 11 Feb. 1853 issue. The Phippsburg [ME} VRs give the following under the surname Perry: "William, s. Joseph and Abigail, bp. Sept. 22, 1773. C.R.1."

9. Vital Records of Scituate, MA, Births p. 293, record the birth of Joseph Perry, May 28, 1719 to Joseph Perry and Mercy Leach. Eaton has "Job" Perry born in Marshfield.

10. Eaton gives "Job" Perry a son Lieutenant Joseph Perry, b. 1761 in Marshfield. In his Pension Application File (W5507), Lieutenant Joseph Perry gives his birthdate as November 21, 1760 in Marshfield. He does not name his parents, but this document corroborates Eaton in all but the father's name.

11. Eaton gives "Job" Perry a son Job, (2d), b. in Georgetown, April 21, 1762. In his Pension Application File S 17015, Job Perry states that he was born in Georgetown in 1766.

12. Eaton gives "Job" Perry a son Eli, who resided and died in Phippsburg. The Vital Records of Georgetown, ME, next door to Phippsburg, indicate that an Ely Perry was fathering children there in the late 1780's and early 1790's.

The above evidence accounts for the three wives and for all the children mentioned by Eaton except Mercy. Taken together, it shows to my satisfaction that Eaton had the essential facts of this man's life and family correct, but that he erred in calling him Job. His name was Joseph Perry.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kendall_Melle... 7 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Bruce Boyce 26 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
kcmellem1 1 Sep 2010 4:08PM GMT 
kcmellem1 14 Aug 2013 11:43AM GMT 
kcmellem1 14 Aug 2013 11:51AM GMT 
noyesk 1 Sep 2010 7:19PM GMT 
Dale_H_Cook 3 Sep 2010 4:40PM GMT 
johnwild 21 Aug 2011 9:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic