Search for content in message boards

Mills Transfer - 51 Sleeper St. Boston

Replies: 25

Re: Mills Transfer - 51 Sleeper St. Boston

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 4:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
I worked at Mills Transfer in the mid-1970s. I was originally the Night Shift Manager and then became the overall Warehouse Manager. Mills was originally part of United Shoe Machinery Corp of Beverly, Mass. Until it was taken private. Mills continue to do shoe consolidation and distribution for the shoe industry (we had railroad sidings on either side of the loading platform). We also did some rigging (many of the workers were from the days when they did rigging of shoe large shoe machinery).
Eventually we moved into other areas of cross dock delivery of general freight and were bought out by a regional carrier. Three of the managers left and formed a new local delivery company which I worked for temporarily until I found a permanent job after I was layed off. Eventually the carrier was in turn bought out and now nothing remains of Mills Transfer. I haven't been by that area in years (I now live in Pa) but with all the urban renewal I don't imagine the building is even there or if it is it has changed dramatically.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ednabm 28 Jan 2012 4:10PM GMT 
sandimcintyre... 28 Jan 2012 10:55PM GMT 
mmbutts1 28 Jan 2012 4:19PM GMT 
sandimcintyre... 28 Jan 2012 4:39PM GMT 
mmbutts1 28 Jan 2012 10:58PM GMT 
DonaldLibby 16 Jan 2013 11:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions