Search for content in message boards

Thomas Daly (Daley) and Ann Dodd Daly (Daley) b. 1828 Ireland d. Boston, Mass in 1870's and 1880's - trying to locate census rec

Replies: 6

Thomas Daly (Daley) and Ann Dodd Daly (Daley) b. 1828 Ireland d. Boston, Mass in 1870's and 1880's - trying to locate census rec

Posted: 28 May 2012 6:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Daly, Daley, Dodd
I have been looking for the census records for the family of Thomas Daly (also spelled Daley in some records) and his wife Ann (or Anna) Dodd Daly (or Daley) who were both born in Ireland around 1828. They both died in Massachusetts and I have found some records (well, only death records for both), but I am perplexed as to why I cannot locate any census records for this seemingly large family!!!

The death records I found came from www.familysearch.org and appear to be the correct ones, but I have some confusion over a 1860 census record that I think is for Thomas Daly in Boston Ward 9, Suffolk County, Mass, page 169, where he appears to be living with his parents, with who I think are 3 of his children. There is no wife...at least it does not appear so. I think this is the correct family...and the correct census record. BUT the death record I have, which lists Ann's maiden name, shows that she died in 1870...and other records seem to indicate that more children were born to Thomas and Ann after 1860...so I am, as usual, confused!!

I would like to try to find the 1870 and 1880 census records from Massachusetts to try to figure out the family dynamic...but I just simply cannot locate the correct ones. I have searched and searched the records, online...and cannot locate the records I am searching. There are a LOT of Daly/Daley's in Massachusetts at this time...but I have looked at so many my eyes are spinning...and none of them match up!!!

I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out either a better way to get to the correct census, help me find the census records I am seeking...or if this family was ever in the census at all...after all, I am beginning to wonder.

According to these death records, Thomas Daly died in 1888 in Holyoke, Mass...which I know is a different county...but I don't know when he might have left Suffolk county.

I think I can for sure place them in Mass. by 1870 since that is when Ann/Anna died...so there should be a census record for them...and there definitely should be a census record in 1880...

Thank you so very much for your help...I am so very lost!!

Susan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
shaslam100 29 May 2012 12:59AM GMT 
mmbutts1 29 May 2012 12:25PM GMT 
shaslam100 29 May 2012 6:51PM GMT 
noyesk 1 Jun 2012 9:53PM GMT 
noyesk 29 May 2012 4:36PM GMT 
shaslam100 1 Jun 2012 7:59PM GMT 
Baumanja 25 Jan 2013 8:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions