Search for content in message boards

Boston Wills - Where to Find?

Replies: 12

Re: Boston Wills - Where to Find?

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 9:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Simons, Call, Thomas, Viles, Gardner, Hammond
Hi Tina,

I think they must have been fairly "established" as well. The interesting thing is that Aaron SIMONS was the only one of his family (that I know of) in Boston. He was stationed there during the Revolution, but came from the tiny town of Wilbraham, near Springfield, his father having been born in Enfield, Hartford, CT. A few of his other brothers served as well, but none came to Boston. It is clear that Aaron met Mary CALL during his service in Boston and married her there. The CALL family had been long established in Charlestown and were of the merchant / professional class for the most part from what I can judge. Aaron's family in Wilbraham appear to be farmers.

Aaron's mother, Mabel, is my current brick wall. Some material in trees online have suggested that her last name is THOMAS, and while some of his siblings did marry in the THOMAS family of New London and Hartford, CT areas, I have yet to find solid proof of Mabel's last name being THOMAS.

Going back to the SIMONS family's prominence in Boston: though I have found no information about what became of five of the children of Aaron and Mary, William, their son, was apprenticed at the age of 13 to a printer in Boston and himself became a very prominent owner and editor of Rhode Island newspapers (shortly after William's marriage in Boston in 1809, he and his wife moved to Newport, RI and later to Providence). William's sister, Mary, appears never to have married and lived for a long while with members of William's family.

For the reference of all who may be interested, here is the information I have regarding the SIMONS / CALL family (always happy to share sources):

Aaron SIMONS, Private; b. abt. 1758, bap. 4 Dec 1761 Springfield, Hampshire, MA. Son of William SIMONS (1718-1765) and Mabel

m. 5 Oct 1780 Old North Church, Boston, Suffolk, MA

Mary CALL; b. 1764 Boston, Suffolk, MA, bap. 16 Dec 1764, West Church, Boston. Daughter of Richard CALL, Jr. (1728-) and Susanna VILES (1734-1790).

Children (all bap. West Church, Boston, Suffolk, MA):

- Susanna Call SIMONS bap. 29 Sep 1782
- Betsy Newland SIMONS bap. 19 Sep 1784
- William SIMONS, Colonel; bap. 6 Aug 1786, d. 6 Mar 1845 while traveling in Baltimore, MD, m. 5 Oct 1809 Clarissa GARDNER, daughter of Capt. Moses GARDNER and Agatha HAMMOND
- Aaron SIMONS, bap. 20 Apr 1788
- John Viles SIMONS, bap. 11 Oct 1789
- Mary SIMONS, bap. 18 Sep 1791, d. 28 Jan 1878 Providence, Providence, RI; assume unmarried
- Sophia SIMONS, bap. 29 Sep 1793

Oddly, I have not found burial information for any of the above named.

Regards,
Mike
mike.ewing@gmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael Ewing 17 Nov 2012 4:14PM GMT 
noyesk 17 Nov 2012 4:34PM GMT 
Michael Ewing 17 Nov 2012 4:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic