Search for content in message boards

Sharp Family Hotel

Replies: 0

Sharp Family Hotel

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 7:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: sharp, morral, morrell, morrel, lavanture, sharpe
I am looking for more information on the Sharp Family in Elk Rapids, Michigan.

Alexander Y. Sharp was the son of Thomas Evans Sharp (1839-1913) and Mary Morral (1858-1893) (possibly Morrel) born in 1873. He also had a brother, Charles (1877-1893). Thomas Evans Sharp and his wife owned a hotel in Elk Rapids. On the 1900 census, it's in district 6. It has no street listed, but the house number is 388 (390 was originally written and crossed out).

Alexander Sharp married Anna Lavanture (abt 1879) in November of 1900. They had a daughter, Audrey Marie in 1906.

In September 1914, Alexander and Audrey died by "drowning accidetally" in Elk Rapids. I can only find their death certificates and no obituaries or newspaper articles.

Does anyone know of hotels in this area around 1900? On Alexander's death certificate, his occupation is listed as "hotel keeper". I am assuming it's the same hotel his father owned. I googled, but it hasn't been much help. I emailed White Birch Lodge, which said on it's website it was operated as a hotel in the early 1900's. This hotel is also on a lake, which would make the drowning make even more sense.

Anyone?

Find a board about a specific topic