Clara (Planck) Smith of Niles , MI

Replies: 4

Re: Clara (Planck) Smith of Niles , MI

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 10:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Oct 2012 8:25AM GMT
Surnames: Roof, Planck, Wolfe
Hello Richard,

Thanks for replying. I've been trying to remember bits and pieces of conversations with my Mother before her death in 1993 about her father's family - or what little she knew. From my notes, I am wondering if Fred Roof was actually the child of Christian Planck from a first marriage. I just can't substantiate this right now. He told my Mother that he was born a Planck so I believe this. According to our cousin, Ezra Planck, there was a divorce or, as he put it, "someone strayed from their marriage vows," which led to Fred (Freddie) being adopted by the Roofs.

I think Ezra knew far more than he told us. We came to know him and his wife Hilda after they showed up on my Grandmother's doorstep in the 1940's "out of the blue" and told her who they were. They even asked to see her marriage license to Fred, which she supplied even though she was insulted at the request. Ezra visited my family in Baton Rouge several times through the years after that but always remained rather evasive about specifics regarding Fred's adoption. He did, however, talk about Laura, Hattie and Clara a lot, as well as the fact that his father (Charles?) was a half brother to Fred or Christian. I'm not sure which.

Maybe this information will help in unraveling Fred's lineage. I've been searching census records for 1900, hoping to find where Fred might have lived prior to moving to Louisiana and marrying my Grandmother, to no avail. I found them in the 1910 census living in Hammond, La., but already knew that info. I also found him in the 1870 census living in the Planck household. He was listed as Freddie and was about 7 years old. That means that 1865 might be wrong for his birth date, could have been 1862.

I had an old family Bible in which Fred entered the birth dates for himself, my Grandmother and their daughters but I believe it was discarded by a work crew which cleaned out my home in 2008 after being flooded by Hurricane Ike. Hopefully, I'll find it in boxes of books, etc. that I still have to go through.

One other thing, Ezra gave us a picture of a very elderly lady, whom he said was his grandmother. He said her name was Susan Wolfe. Does this ring a bell?

Since we don't know each other and you might prefer to contact me through Ancestry.com, I am fine with that arrangement. However, if you would like to talk to me, please feel free to call me at 713-294-9886 or write to me at 2409 Perthuis Drive, La Marque, TX 77568.

Sincerely,

Shirley Nowlin
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Richard G Planck Jr 21 Apr 2003 5:59PM GMT 
slnowlin 31 Aug 2012 6:11AM GMT 
richardplanck 24 Sep 2012 2:28AM GMT 
slnowlin 29 Oct 2012 4:36PM GMT 
thomasker2 30 Oct 2012 12:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic