Search for content in message boards

County Poor House?

Replies: 2

Re: County Poor House?

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 6:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nemetz
You are having the same problem as I am. I am researching a Bay Township family and his death cert says he died in 1897 at the Poorhouse of Charlevoix Co. He was to be buried in South Arm Cemetery, alas none of the cemeteries no longer called South Arm Cemetery. Searches of cemeteries were futal. I am working with a lady whose grandfather ran the poorfarm for a short time. With that said, here are some things that I have found. The person I am searching died in 1897 and township was Evaline. The reporter was R A Miller of Ironton. 1900 census shows he was superindendant of the poor but lists no "inmates". We do know that the "Poor Farm" in 1900 was located where the present Grandvue Medical Care facility is. I would search the Sunset Hill Cemetery for the person you are looking for. It is less than two miles from Grandvue. There are no graves on the Grandvue property and if there were, they were likely moved. The city of East Jordan maintains Sunset Hill and would be happy to look-up burials there if you call the clerk. Let me know how you fair. Not sure where you live but I live in Boyne City and could help a bit if you need it. Chuck
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
elisabethecol... 14 Jul 2012 11:35PM GMT 
CharlesStutzm... 20 Jul 2012 12:13PM GMT 
pspenc153 9 Sep 2012 4:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic