Albert R HOWARD, part 2

Posted: 13 Jun 2001 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Pension
Edited: 7 Apr 2002 11:42PM GMT
Surnames: HOWARD, VANALSTINE
----------
DOCUMENT # 13:
GENERAL AFFIDAVIT.
State of Michigan, County of Eaton, ss: IN THE MATTER OF Invalid Pension No.
Albert R HOWARD. ON THIS 14th day of April A.D. 1899, personally appeared before me, a Notary Public in and for the aforesaid County, duly authorized to administer oaths, Malvin D. DISHAW aged 47 years, a resident of Oneida Township in the County of Eaton and State of Mich whose Post-office address is Grand Ledge, Eaton, Mich well known to me to be respectable and entitled to credit, and who, being duly sworn, declares in relation to the aforesaid case as follows: In 1870 the claimant Robert R HOWARD was sick with the Rhumatism, and was confined to the Bed nearly one fourth of the time, and this sickness continued through all the years up to the spring of 1878, when he moved to the northern front of the state. I knew nothing about his health since, Mr Albert HOWARD worked for me during the years mentioned when ever he was able and a good manys where He was not able, I was jobering in clearing land spliting rails, shaping wood and making staves, and when ever he could work I let him do so
His Post-office address is Grand Ledge Mich He further declares he has no interest in said case and is not concerned in its prosecution. Melvin D. DISHAW Signature of affiant
Sarah P. BIGELOW
H.L. BIGELOW
If affiant sign by mark, two witnesses who can write sign here (Stamped) US
PENSION OFFICE MAY 1 1899
(continued on next document)
----------
DOCUMENT # 14:
(continued from previous page)
State of Michigan, County of Eaton, ss: Sworn to and subscribed before me this day by the above-named affiant, and I certify that I read said affidavit to said affiant, including the words____erased, and the words____ added, and acquainted him with its contents before He executed the same. I further certify that I am in nowise interested in said case, nor am I concerned in its prosecution; and that affiant is personally known to me and that he is a credible person. Henry L. BIGELOW Official signature Notary Public Official character
[L.S.] I, Clerk of the county Court in and for aforesaid County and State, do certify that _____ Esq., who has signed his name to the foregoing declaration and affidavit was at the time of so doing in and for said County and State, duly commissioned and sworn; that all his official acts are entitled to full faith and credit, and that his signature thereunto is genuine. Witness my hand and seal of office, this_____ day of _____, 189__
[L.S.] Clerk of the ______________
Note-To be executed before some officer authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. The official character and signature of any such officer not required by law to use a seal, must be certified by the clerk of the
proper court, giving dates of beginning and close of official term. If certificate on file, so state.
____________ Division. OK
Additional Evidence.
Cert No. 956,353 (a 2 written over the last 5)
Albert R. HOWARD
Name of Claimant
____blank_____
Name of Soldier
Co D., 12' Reg't Mich Vols.
Nature of Claim___blank___
FILED BY Edgar T. GADDIS Washington, D.C. (Stamped) RECORD DIVISION MAY 5 1899
(Stamped) MIDDLE DIV. RECEIVED MAY 1 1899
----------
DOCUMENT # 15:
12744 N.L. F.A.B. S.S.
PENSIONER DROPPED.
United States Pension Agency, Detroit Mich. Mar 30, 1903
Certificate No. 956.323
Class Invalid OK
Pensioner Albert R HOWARD
Soldier______blank
Service Pt D 12" Mich Vol Inf
The commissioner of Pensions.
SIR: I have the honor to report that the above-named pensioner who was last paid at $ 6, to Dec 4 1902 has been dropped because of death Feby 16 1903
Very respectfully, O.A. JONES
United States Pension Agent
NOTE-Every name dropped to be thus reported to office, and when cause of dropping is death, state date of death when known. (Written down the side: No other claim. Apr 17/03)

----------
DOCUMENT # 16:
Eastern Div
Widow Orig No 783330
Mary M Widow of
Albert R HOWARD State of Michigan}
Co D 12 Mich Vol Infantry of Charlevoix} SS
Act June 27-1890
Wm C. NILES of Walloon Lake, Charlevoix County Michigan, First being duly sworn disposes and says that he is personally aquainted with claimant, and has been for about forty years, and that he knows She is of good Moral Character. and that She was Married to the late A.R. HOWARD, in the year A D. 1872 at Rock Sand, Eaton County Michigan and that the Said claimant has lived continually with the late A.R. HOWARD, until his death and that she has not remarried. Wm C. NILES (seal)
witness Mrs F SKELTON}

loretta WILSON }
Subscribed and Sworn to before me this twentieth (20th) day of June A.D. 1903.
John W. CALDER Notary Public
Cohab + wid.
----------
DOCUMENT # 17:
DECLARATION OF A WIDOW FOR ORIGINAL PENSION (Stamped) LAW DIVISION RECEIVED FEB 28 1907 STATE OF Michigan COUNTY OF Charlevoix} ss:
On this 18th day of February, A.D. one thousand nine hundred and seven, personally appeared before me, a Notary Public within and for the county and state aforesaid, Mary M. HOWARD, aged 53 years, a resident of Chandler Township, County of Charlevoix, State of Michigan, who being duly sworn according to law, makes the following declaration in order to obtain pension under the acts of Congress granting pension to the widows of soldiers and sailors who have died by reason of wound or injury received, or disease contracted in the service of the United States and in the line od duty:
That she is the widow of Albert R HOWARD, who was enrolled under the name of Albert R. HOWARD at______ on the ____day of_, 1_ as a Private in Company D. 12th Reg. Vol. Inf of Mich. and was discharged on the _day of_, 1_, and who died at Chandler township on the 16th day of February, 1903 of heart disease due to Rheumatism incurred in the above-named service.
That the said soldier was not in the military or naval service of the United States except as stated above___(if any other service it should be stated in full)_______ That the said soldier was born in Canada, 1845, at____; that his personal description at enlistment was as follows: Height,_; complexion,_____; color of eyes,____; color of hair,___; permanent marks or scars,____; that his occupation was_____
That she was married under the name of Mary M. VANALLSTINE to said soldier at Onida Eaton Co. Mich on the 10 day of March 1872 by Elder CLAYTON; that there was no legal barrier to the marriage; that she had not been previously married; that the soldier had not been previously married. [If there was a previous marriage of either, the date and place of death or divorce of former consort or consorts should be stated.]That she was never divorced from said soldier, and that she has not remarried since his death. [If remarried, the date and place of remarriage should be stated.]
That the said soldier left the following-named children under 16 years of age at the date of his death, to wit:
John S. HOWARD, born June 6, 1892, at Chandler Twp
[If any children have died since the soldier's death, its name and the date of its death should be stated. If the soldier left no children, the claimant should so state.]
That she has heretofore applied for pension under certificate No 578828 as widow of Albert R. HOWARD [If prior application has been made, the number thereof, the service on which it was based, and the name of the soldier should be stated.]
That her post-office address is Boyne Falls. RFD 1# County of Charlevoix, State of Michigan
Mary M HOWARD [Claimant's signature.]
ATTEST: (1) Ruth A. COLDER

(2) D.V. HOLLY
(continued on next document)
----------
DOCUMENT # 18:
Also personally appeared Ruth A. COLDEN, residing at Clarion, and D.V. HOLLY, residing at Clarion, persons whom I certify to be respectable and entitled to credit, and who, being by me duly sworn, say they were present and saw Mary M. HOWARD, the claimant, sign her name (or make her mark) to the foregoing declaration; that they have every reason to believe, from the appearance of said claimant and their acquaintance with her of 10 years and 18 years, respectively, that she is the identical person she represents herself to be; and that they have no interest in the prosecution of this claim.
Ruth A. COLDEN
D.V. HOLLY
[Signatures of witnesses.]
Sworn to and subscribed before me this 18th day of Feb, A.D. 1907 and I hereby certify that the contents of the above declaration, etc., were fully made known and explained to the applicant and witnesses before swearing, including the words____, erased, and the words_______, added; and that I have no interest direct or indirect, in the prosecution of this claim. John W. COLDEN Notary Public [Official character.] My commission expires May 11, 1910. (Stamped) Validity accepted S.A. CUDDY Chief, Law Division. per M E H
2-28-7
To be executed before some officer of a court of record having custody of its seal, a notary public, justice of the peace, or other officer authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If such officer is not required by law
to have and use a seal, his official character, signature, and term of office must be certified by the proper State, county, or city officer under his official seal, unless such a certificate has been filed in the Bureau of Pensions for general reference.
Testimony in support of allegations made iin a declaration may be taken before any officer whose authority and signature are duly credited, and who shall disclaim any interest, direct or indirect, in the prosecution of the
claim.
I.C. 956,323 W. Cert. 578,828 WIDOW. CLAIM FOR PENSION. ORIGINAL.
Claimant, Mary M. HOWARD
Soldier, Albert R. HOWARD
Service, "D" - 12" Mich. Inf. (Stamped RECORD DIV MAR 1 1907 (and) MAR 9
1907 RECEIVED.
----------
DOCUMENT # 19:
Record No. 922 CERTIFIED COPY OF RECORD OF MARRIAGE. Albert A. HOWARD TO Mary M VANALSTINE (Stamped) EAST. DIV. AUG 14 1903 RECEIVED (and) US PENSION OFFICE AUG 7 1907 (and) RECORD DIVISION AUG 10 1903
----------
DOCUMENT # 20:
CERTIFIED COPY OF RECORD OF MARRIAGE.
STATE OF MICHIGAN, COUNTY OF Eaton}SS. I, Jessie G. HARMON Dpty Clerk of the County of Eaton and the Circuit Court thereof, the same being a court of record having a seal, do hereby certify that the following is a copy of the record of marriage of Albert A. HOWARD and Mary M. VANALSTINE now remaining in my office, and of the whole thereof, viz:
Record Number 922
Column Titles: Full Name of Bridegroom and Bride, and Maiden Name of Bride if a Widow; Age of Each in Years; White, Black, Mulatto, Etc; Residence of Each; Birthplace of Each; Occupation of Each; Name of Father of Each; Maiden Name
of Each; Times Previousl Married
Albert A. HOWARD-27-W-Grand Ledge, Eaton Co.-Canada-Farmer-blank-blank-blank
Mary M. VANALSTINE-19-W-Oneida, Eaton Co.-Ohio-blank-blank-blank-blank
Date of Marriage: March 11 1872; Place of Marriage: My residence in Oneida;
Name and Official Station of Person by Whom Married: John CLAYTON, Minister of M.E. Church; Witnesses to Marriage (Names, Residence): Elijah E. BALDWIN, Roxand; Ann E. BALDWIN, Roxand.
In Testimony Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the seal of said Circuit Court, the Twenty-fourth day of July A.D. 1903
Jessie G. HARMON Dpty Clerk.
----------
DOCUMENT # 21:
DECLARATION FOR WIDOW'S PENSION Act of June 27, 1890, as amended by act of May 9, 1900.
STATE OF Michigan, COUNTY OF Charlevoix } SS:
On this 27th day of April, A.D. one thousand nine hundred and three personally appeared before me, a Notary Public within and for the county and State aforesaid, Mary M. HOWARD, aged 49 years, a resident of Town of Chandler County of Charlevoix State of Michigan, who being duly sworn according to law, makes the following declaration in order to obtain pension under the provisions of the act of Congress approved June 27, 1890, as amended by the act of May 9, 1900.
That she is the widow of Albert R HOWARD, who was Enrolled in Co D 12 Reg Mich Vol infantry under the name of Albert HOWARD at Jackson Michigan on the Twelvth day of February, 1864 as a Private in Co. D. 12 Regt Mich Vol infantry and honorably discharged February 15, 1866, having served ninety days or more during the late war of the rebellion. That the soldier was not in the military or naval service of the United States except as stated above.
(If any other service it should be stated in full.)
That she was married under the name of Mary M. VANALSTINE to said soldier at Grand Ledge on the tenth day of March, 1872, by John CLAYTON Minister; that there was no legal barrier to the marriage; that she had never been previously married; that the soldier had never been previously married. (If there was a previous marriage of either, the date and place of death or divorce of former consort or consorts should be stated.)
That the said soldier died February 16, 1903, at his home in Chandler Twp; that she was not divorced from him; that she has not remarried since his death; and that she is without other means of support than her daily labor and an actual net income not exceeding two hundred and fifty dollars per year.
That the said soldier left the following-named children who are now living and under sixteen years of age, to wit:
John S. HOWARD born June 6, 1892, in Chandler Township (If the claimant left no children, then the claimant should so state.)
That she has not heretofore applied for pension. (If prior application has been made, the number thereof, the service on which it was based, and the name of the soldier should be stated.)
That she hereby appoints C.H. JOHNSON of Boyne Falls Charlevoix Co, her true and lawful attorney, to prosecute this claim. That her post-office address is Boyne Falls County of Charlevoix, State of Michigan
ATTEST: (1) Mrs. Emily H JOHNSON Mrs Mary M HOWARD
(Claimant's signature)

(2) Mrs Lucina M. NOWLAND
Wid Dec - June act (Stamp) US PENSION OFFICE C APR 29 1903 (and) ATTY FILED
Traverse City Mich. (written down side of page) (continued on next document)
----------
DOCUMENT # 22:
Also personally appeared Emily H JOHNSON, residing at Boyne Falls Mich and Lucina M NOWLAND, residing at Boyne Falls Mich, persons whom I certify to be respectable and entitled to credit, and who, being by me duly sworn, say they were present and saw the claimant, sign her name (or make her mark) to the foregoing declaration; that they have every reason to believe, from the appearance of said claimant and their acquaintance with her of seven years and twenty four years respectively, that she is the identical person she represents herself to be; and that they have no interest in the prosecution of this claim.
Mrs Emily H JOHNSON Mrs Lucina M NOWLAND (Signatures of witnesses.)
Sworn to and subscribed before me this 27th day of April, A.D. 1903 and I certify that the contents of the above declaration, stc., were fully made known and explained to the applicant and witnesses before swearing, including the words______, erased, and the words_____, added; and that I have no interest, direct or indirect, in the prosecution of this claim. William R VLIET (Signature.) Notary Public (Official character.) [L.S.]
To be executed before some officer of a court of record having custody of its seal, a notary public, justice of the peace, or other officer authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If such officer is not required by law to have and use a seal, his official character, signature, and term of office must be certified by the proper State, county, or city officer under his official seal, unless such a certificate has been filed in the Bureau of Pensions for general reference.
Testimony in support of allegations made iin a declaration may be taken before any officer whose authority and signature are duly credited, and who shall disclaim any interest, direct or indirect, in the prosecution of the claim.
Inv Dep} 956.323 Act of June 27, 1890, as amended by act of May 9, 1900.
CLAIM FOR PENSION. No other claim. WIDOW.
Claimant: Mary M HOWARD
Soldier: A R HOWARD
Service: Co. D 12 Mich Inf (Stamped) EAST DIV RECEIVED MAY 13 1903 (and) RECORD DIVISION APR 30 1903 (and) APR 30 1903
----------
DOCUMENT # 23:
THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES CERT NO. 578828
PENSIONER: Mary M. HOWARD Widow OF
VETERAN: Albert R. HOWARD
can no. 49478 bundle no. 13
----------
DOCUMENT # 24:
Eastern Div
Widow M 783330
Mary M Widow of
Albert R. HOWARD
Co D - 12 Mich Vol Inf.
This is to certify that I am, and was a resident of Grand Ledge Eaton County Mich on March 15-1872 and know personaly of the marriage of Albert R. HOWARD, of Grand Ledge, Mary M VANALSTINE, of oneida, on that date, and know of my personal knowledge that he was never married prior to that date. I further state that I am 59 years old, and that my Post office address is Grand Ledge Mich E WALLACE
dated this 30th day of June ad 1904
Personally appeared before me, a Notary Public E WALLACE who deposeth + Says the above facts are true
David G. KENNEDY Notary Public My Commission expires Jan. 23rd. 1907.
(Stamped) EAST DIV. JUL 12 1904 RECEIVED (and) US PENSION A OFFICE JUL 9 1904
----------
DOCUMENT # 25:
Eastern Div
Widow M 783330
Mary M Widow of
Albert R HOWARD
Co D 12- Mich Inf
This is to certify that I am, and was a resident of Grand Ledge Eaton County Mich on March 15-1872. and know personaly of the marriage of Albert R HOWARD, of Grand Ledge to Mary M VANALSTINE of onida, on that date, and know of my personal knowledge that he was never married prior to that date. I further State that I am 50 years old and that My Post office address is Grand Ledge Mich Hiram JOHNSON
Personaly appeared before me a Notary Public Hiram JOHNSON who deposeth and Says the above facts are true
dated this 30th day of June ad 1904 David G, KENNEDY Notary Public My Commission expires Jan. 23rd. 1907. (Stamped) EAST. DIV. JUL 12 1904
RECEIVED (and) US PENSION OFFICE A JUL 9 1904
-----
NOTE: Albert R. HOWARD is buried in the HOWARD Family Cemetery in Chandler, Charlevoix, Mi with a Civil War headstone. Pam Villafuerte

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PamVillafuert... 13 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
PamVillafuert... 13 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
NaidaCC 6 Dec 2001 3:05PM GMT 
PamVillafuert... 19 Dec 2001 7:31AM GMT 
sheryl8564 10 Aug 2003 1:38PM GMT 
pamvillafuert... 10 Aug 2003 4:44PM GMT 
Tina Scobey/Leach 19 Jan 2005 12:19PM GMT 
NaidaCC 21 Jan 2005 5:54PM GMT 
gailgiddings 27 Feb 2009 2:01AM GMT 
Dean Curtis 12 May 2006 2:45AM GMT 
per page